AC gains 4 Star Status

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by Stephan, Jan 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.airlinequality.com/news/23012013_aircanada.htm

Amazing to me that no one here has commented on this news item yet. One has to give AC credit for this, but as always there would seem to be some doubt about the Skytrax methodology.

Do we actually believe that AC is a 4 star airline (out of 5?) in the market place given some of the competition? Perhaps 3 - 3.5 is more refective overall IMO. I do love the photo of an AC B787 at the top...

2. YULexpat

YULexpat Active Member

Status Points:
    A thread on FT is expressing a lot of skepticism. One poster pointed out that the scoring is relative to peers in the same market. AC probably edges out other North American carriers.

YULtide likes this.
  3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    "We accept for example that on regional, short haul flights they do not offer complimentary meals to passengers..."

Yes, short hauls like, say, YVR-YHZ.

4. Having just completed a flight on AC15 I would suggest that 4 out of 5 is accurate.(its not my only recent flight:p) The in flight service was just terrific;there were plenty of movies and other entertainment. The food was quite good and the in between meal service on a 15 hour flight service was also excellent. The pods are very comfortable.

5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    AC has a group of people who do nothing but write anonymous positive reviews and fill out entries for these unscientific "awards".

YULtide likes this.
  6. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if it's the same people that get hired to line up as pretend buyers for condo pre-sales. Perhaps writing these reviews and voting in 'polls' on their smartphones is how they kill time waiting?:D

YULtide likes this.
  7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's quite amazing that AC is the only airline that has figured out how to do that.

YULtide likes this.
  8. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to the Guru, they're always the front-runners and it's only a matter of time before everyone else copies their industry-leading 'enhancements.'

YULtide likes this.
  9. That opinion is a load of crap. They should sue for libel. Someone's bitterness really shows because they wouldn't cater to the impossible demands one makes. Fortunately their planes are more full each and every month as people have decided they like AC. everyone is entitled to their opinion but suing made up "facts" is plain dishonesty.

I guess, based on this logic, we should assume that the same AC people wrote all the bad stuff that made UA reach the bottom. :rolleyes:

10. As someone who rarely flies AC I would suppose everything that is heard in your circles is all hearsay.

11. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have any proof that this is the case?

12. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course he does not. He is famous for making statements that are blatantly false then even when proven wrong never owning up or apologizing. Just going on to his next statement :rolleyes:

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

guinnessxyz likes this.
  13. I agree totally.
    There are a group of low ball artists who can't scam the AC system like they did ten years ago and now detest AC for closing off all the loopholes to getting SE status for almost nothing.

14. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:
  15. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
  16. Yegman secretly gets highly motivated to stick it to AC because they don't give a rat's a$$ about his puny spend.
    All planes are full and making money;the rest is just dressing or stupidity by those who don't get it about the airline business.

17. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Skytrax give you that 'information?' Ha-ha-ha-ha!

18. I use the product and don't need hearsay to understand that AC is top class. Some people just like to spread rumours

19. BlondeBomber
    Original Member

BlondeBomber Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know why people slag AC so much. I find the service efficient and comfortable, food OK, on time, safety etc etc. In fact, I find most modern airlines pretty good. I get where I need to go mostly near to on time and safely and most often in considerably more comfort than I am usually willing to pay for.:D

Each airline seems to have its own strengths and weaknesses, often it comes down to the individual you are dealing with and not necessarily the airline's culture (although that helps). Don't sit me in the back on BA but I am more than happy to sit in the back on AC (although I still prefer upfront and rarely fly in the back except on planes that don't have a front cabin).

Now for Aeroplan I have my own thoughts which are a bit more hostile but even there it is more about the changes I don't like over the last 15 years than the reality of running a FFP to make money. I still get good value out of it, just not great value and I adjust my expectations and earning accordingly (ie. not just going for Aeroplan points anymore where I have a choice, might put it directly into hotel rewards program etc.)

Arguing about which airline is better is a bit pointless. Better to focus on what makes a particular plane, route or feature better or worse then you can decide which is better for that plane, route or feature you are looking for.

20. BB I am of the same vintage as you are with regards to using AC and travelling a lot in general. I have already flown well over 120K this year with 95% of the flights on AC metal.

They have significantly improved their OT performance which is important to me and I very rarely ever miss an upgrade. I too don't plonk all my miles into AE and in fact its only my AC miles that do go there plus a few gas station ones.
    I use a hotel master card for the particular chain I like and AMEX Platinum for almost all my other travel expenses. I use RBC Visa a lot as they seem to have the best redemption program once you hit 100K points with them.

The old days of scamming the system are over as computer programs have been effectively smarter than the scammers.
    As I now head towards 3MM I will stay with AC and *A.

21. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are the planes full because "more and more people have decided they like AC or because there is more demand for flights and AC has added almost no capacity. I have not sensed a groundswell of excitement about AC (or any other NA airline). They have a good hard product and I'm generally pleased with the soft product, but I don't think people are being wowed by AC or AE to switch loyalty to AC in significant numbers.

22. Their FF membership has grown dramatically in the last several years as has their higher tier numbers. They have had 2 and 3% capacity growth each year recently and that will grow more with Rouge and the 787's with higher seating capacities and of course the new Y seats on several planes with more to come.

23. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:

Prove it.

24. Prove it hasn't........stupid requests by YEG losers don't deserve answers.

I can tell you there are around 16,000 SE's .Go and disprove that fact. :rolleyes: 5 years ago there were under 10,000 SE's

25. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:
    This the result of one of your own personal scientific surveys?