AC Flight Cancelled... Compensation?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by cc1972, Jul 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a flight from Geneva to Montreal scheduled for Sunday, July 7 (AC831) which was delayed, delayed, and delayed, and then cancelled. We got a meal voucher while waiting at the airport and later, when the flight was cancelled, we got a hotel room with dinner and breakfast for the next morning. We all left the next day, about 22 hours later (AC2031).

Is there anything else I can get as compensation? As a minimum, isn't Air Canada supposed to pay for international phone calls I had to make while stuck in Geneva? If there is anything I can claim, how should I proceed?

Thank you for any pieces of advice.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:

By providing the hotel room and meals Air Canada fulfilled the compensation requirements AFAIK. If you had phone calls you had to pay for- one thing I always do to minimize the cost is use a VOIP service like Skype (firstly) if at all possible and then I usually don't bother to go after an airline for phone calls- the time and administration to chase it will be far more than what you will collect back IMHO.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    But only the first stage of the reuqirements, most notiabliy outsanding are the "Refund or alternative transport" and "Financial compensation" requirements:
    http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/
    and likely they did not do this, but there is no recourse
    Your airline must inform you about your rights and the reason for being denied boarding, or any cancellations or long delays (over 2 hours, although this may be up to 4 hours for flights in excess of 3500 Km).

cc1972 likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK the EU rules apply to flights exSwitzerland.

5. Switzerland is not part of the EU and while they have certain EU agreements I don't believe flight cancellation is one of them.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are correct. While Switzerland is not part of the European Union they have agreed to the same airline policies as the EU states.

7. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the link. It seems to be exactly what I needed.

8. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does appear that the EEA countries (Switzerland, Norway and Iceland are the only ones left!) have agreed to enforce the EU policies in this regard.

9. Tom,not sure I followed your comment correctly. Do the swiss honour the EU policy or not

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes the swiss do.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. That's what I thought but I was reluctant to state it when I wasn't sure about Switzerland following the EU 261 rules since they are certainly not part of the EU.

TRAVELSIG likes this.