AC finally returns to YTZ ! May

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by milchap, Mar 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    It should be interesting to see what type of strategy AC adopts here.

I wonder if AC will have a shuttle into the downtown core as well? Will Porter busdrivers start asking for boarding passes ;)?

For now my flights will stick with Porter as I like the product a lot (lounge, snacks, staff) but we'll see.

3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    AC will have to do some value added to distinguish itself from Porter at YTZ.

4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me the simple fact that they will be there is value enough for me :) If the routings work for me - I will fly out of the island. If not, out of YYZ.

5. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exact opposite for me. The fact they are there gets a foot in the door but they should do something that will be as good or better (or cheaper fares).

Competition looks like it's about to get fierce in the corridor both out of YTZ and YYZ (with westjet's new strategy), and I would hope AC (and us customers) would do more than than just settle for being there.

6. yyzgigi
    Original Member

yyzgigi Active Member

Status Points:
    Agree that it will be interesting on how they differentiate themselves and how they configure the planes. I assume it should start with some cheap fares and a lot of bonus Aeroplan points.

Personally, I'm not sure that YTZ is that convenient for me, but if the price is right I might give it a try.

7. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    this is a sad day for competition at YTZ.

8. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Elaborate........

It's like a half-finished thought.

rehoult likes this.
  9. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    i mean it will be another example of AC trying to drive out a competitor in the "very" limited CDN airline market place...sort of like Virgin as of late. before long, i am sure AC will act like the "Brick" and have a sale every day only to get rid of Porter.

10. Tangoer
    Original Member

Tangoer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will definately source YTZ flights when I travel to YYG this summer. Routings usally go via YUL or YOW anyway. Now that I'm living near King W./Bathurst, YTZ is but a 5 min taxi ride away. The longest part of the taxi ride will be waiting for the traffic lights at Bathurt & Lakeshore!

11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you saying it would be better to have no competition at YTZ, with Porter the only airline there?

12. jarusoba
    Original Member

jarusoba Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would much prefer YYZ to YTZ. YYZ is closer to the highway.

When I used to have my small aircraft at home, that would be a different story. I could fly to the airport instead of drive.[​IMG]

13. corster
    Original Member

corster Silver Member

Status Points:
    for consumers in the short term, no. (bring on the fare war)
    for consumers in the long term, possibly. (if Porter can't survive on smaller and/or negative margins)
    for Porter Airlines, yes. (sharing YTZ and their YTZ facilities gives AC passengers part of the Porter experience)
    for City Centre Airport, yes. (a strong Porter Airlines guarantees a strong City Centre Airport... we all know what services AC had from there before they got kicked out)
    for Air Canada, no. (with Porter getting all the YTZ triangle traffic, and WestJet stepping up their game for YYZ triangle traffic, AC has the most to lose.... getting into YTZ lets them hedge their bets)

Porter has diversified their route network, but the triangle is still their bread and butter.... although I think YOW may be more important than YUL to Porter (it's the only market other than YTZ where they have a lounge)

14. AC has no interest in flying from YTZ, they just want to hurt Porter, thats why they blew $4million in legal fees. Next they are not even running the service from YTZ they have skyservice planes?? Not sure if this is so when they put Porter out of business they can just take the planes somewhere else?
    Either way I dont thing anyone really thinks AC has any long term thoughts of staying in YTZ. Interesting that someone posted Porter has 100,000 passengers spots available. I think we forget as long as we let AC continue it oligopoly we are not going to encourage innovation or product variation.. Something both Porter and Virgin [ a bit ] offered...

15. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quick question guys.
    I was booked on YUL-YYZ a few days ago, before the announcement, for travel in May.
    Do you think AC would waive the change fees seeing that their announcement came so late? For a SE? We have T+ fares... :) :(

16. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try it....you have nothing to lose asking.

17. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has AC released the specific info on the YTZ routes yet?

18. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    YTZ-YUL for launch.

19. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree -- call them on Monday once the routes are loaded into the system.

20. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    If and when a YTZ-EWR is announced, I will be jumping on it for the convenience factor. I was considering flying Porter again now that Global Entry is included for Nexus users as this is my biggest problem with YTZ, but would rather collect points.

Having said that, its more likely CO would operate the route, and I think the 30 daily slots (15 RT) will be be mostly (if not all) for the triangle.

21. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's CO operating it, they'll likely be flying out of Terminal C at EWR, which would be a big minus for that option. (Mind you, I'm unlikely to do YTZ personally anyway as it'll take 30+ minutes more for me than YYZ, and I'd rather fly E175 than Q400 ...)

22. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    My CO speculation is purely spec, but as AC received 30 slots and CO got 16, I would see them not overlapping too much as * partners.
    I look at Terminal C as being 2 stops less on the Airtrain to EWR NJRR/Amtrak! [​IMG]
    As I am usually DT or east in TO, it makes sense for me, even with a slightly slower plane.

On another note, Wandering Aramean did note the 4-day Porter 30% off sale on here and in his blog. Discount code is SKY30 and must be booked by March 9th for travel March 17th-Sept 6th, 2011

23. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me, it's two more stops on the Airtrain to the rental cars! :D

I think it's good to have the service, it's just not the right one for me.

canucklehead likes this.
  24. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hear you! I need service from YKZ...... lol!

tomh009 likes this.
  25. briantoronto
    Original Member

briantoronto Gold Member

Status Points: