AC Experience and Saying Thank You

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by JSpira, May 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was brought up (as my mother reminded me when I told her the story I'm about to tell here) to say thank you (or danke, depending on where I was at the time) to acknowledge and show a sign of appreciation for whatever someone might have done for me, regardless of the person's station in life.

On Saturday, I was in the AC in ORD en route from SJD to LGA. As I prepared to leave, I made a point of thanking the woman who worked there who had been tidying up and who took my glass and plate away.

As I was heading to the elevator, she came up to me holding a drink coupon, smiling, and strongly suggesting I get a bottle of water or something for my trip. I didn't really need a bottle of water but I didn't want to disappoint her. So I went back to the bar and got the bottle of water and headed off. As I got in the elevator she smiled and waved.

This small encounter made my day and it made me wonder how many people take the time to thank the staff, esp. the people doing the relatively menial tasks.

My mother's take on the situation: "it's a question of upbringing" she said. "You were brought up to say thank you as that is what one does when someone does something for you."

The next time you have the opportunity to thank someone for something, please do it! Thanks.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm totally with you on this one. I make it a habit to always say please and thank you to FAs, GAs, AC/FL staff, and even :eek:gasp:eek: the TSA! I've had a few jobs that were very thank less, so I try my best to be polite and mannered. I still remember my first time in the ORD FL, one of the staff came over to clear up my empty plate and I said "Thank you" when she started to reach for it. She cocked her head to the side and looked at me funny, then smiled and said "You're welcome!" I didn't know what to make of it, but as I watched her work the room for the next 2 hours I noticed that I was the only person who even acknowledged her.

That's not the case all the time, I've seen very friendly and nice customers while traveling. It never hurts to have a reminder though. :)

3. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    A good reminder from the OP.

So, to you - OP - I say "thank you!" :)

Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said.

Always do this (now, i must admit it was a learned behavior)