AC discounted J fares to Europe pre Christmas season

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by guinnessxyz, Nov 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. AC currently has some discounted J fares to FCO as low as $822 for some dates around mid December. Probably good value for Elites and lower as with seats wide open, to FRA at least, SE's should have no problem with upgrades. T+ on the dates I looked at is running around $462. Not available on the retuen in early January.

Interesting enough, the fares to FRA are higher than the fare to FCO which goes through FRA.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Originating where?

ETA: Or are you just citing the one-way fare ex-YTO without taxes and YQ which is actually more like $2600a/i return??

3. YYZ to FCO mid month in December on AC 872 cnx with AC code share 9156. Fare is one way and with taxes is around $1100. T+ fare was just over $700 all in. My RT fare is via LHR so comparisons are not easy for the return but is under $1900 all in. Return from LHR early Jan.is AC Q class.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    On what date are you able to price it as a one-way fare at that level? A quick scan of ITA is pulling that back much higher; actually it is pricing as more than a return trip. The AC site is matching ITA data from what I'm seeing.

Also, your fare seems to be out in biz and return in coach so most definitely not a straight comparison.

Finally, US has some <$1700a/i biz fares YYZ-PHL-FCO. You only get Y on the RJ from YYZ to PHL and the PHL-FCO is a 767 so not their better Envoy product, but it is about $1000 less for the return trip.

tcook052 likes this.
  5. There were several dates between the 10th and 15th. The reason for my ticketing approach is that as an SE I'm definitely going to get an upgrade Ex LHR so why should I bother going through EWR or PHL. Not every price point is suitable for everyone. Status plays a role as does convenience. I got the price on the AC web site and I'm assuming that if the return was from FCO in mid December the price would have been the same in Z. Alitalia is obviously dropping their drawers big time in this market right now as it is low season for travel to Italy from Canada. .

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'll ask again: Did you have a situation where you could purchase solely a one-way ticket at the discounted price??

I see the Z inventory and I see the low price for a return trip, combined either with a business or economy segment on the other half of the trip. But I am not seeing it available as a one-way fare. I've checked the published fares in the market and it doesn't actually seem to exist. So I'm wondering if you're seeing it as such or if you are listing the price here based on a return purchase.

I also wonder if you've considered that AC doesn't fully control the pricing and inventory in the market because of the A++ ATI/JV.

7. I actually purchased it as part of a multi city trip. I don't really care if it was not available as a OW and I didn't say it was OW although I guess I wasn't specific enough for you. My humble apologies for getting bottom feeder heartbeats going a mile a minute:D

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No...you just just provided the one-way fare and without the actual full price details.

The disappointment is more in getting partial and misleading information than anything else; I wouldn't be buying anyways at this point. My December is all booked up. :rolleyes:

And, again, it is worth noting that as part of the JV/ATI AC isn't actually the ones setting these prices, at least not completely on their own.