AC bonus miles earned in 2012

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by guinnessxyz, Dec 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. AC/AE may have raised the price of award tickets but I think the bonus miles being awarded are rising as well.
    I flew 140K miles on AC/*A this year and received another 120K miles for my flights on AC as part of my tier package. I received another almost 20K for J class travel and another 15K for their Q4 international airport promotion. I also received another 10K for other promos and a wahck of ecerts for passes purchased. They had some point promos earlier in the year that I was unable to take advantage of due to scheduling uncertainies but I know some who did.

I averaged just under 1900 miles flown per segment this year.

Plenty of ecerts awarded and almost every flight upgraded (missed 2 short hauls) plus AE seats in J w/o any hassle tells me AC is awake and on their game for top tier flyers.

As a result of my late Q4 travel I will start the new tier year with well over 100 ecerts.

Comments?

2. BlondeBomber
    Original Member

BlondeBomber Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did OK in 2012. Not many segments (mostly 5 long distance leisure travel trips this year) so around 2225 miles per segment and all upgraded for me and the Mrs where I wanted to (or could--DASH8s don't help much on YYC-YEG!).

Will start with 130 eups for 2013-2014 and 33 left over from 2012-2013, expiring in 2 months. Now to draw down the pile of Aeroplan points which has built up uncontrollably--do I just fly on points this whole year--that is the question?

3. Since AC barely recognizes MM'ers other than guaranteed elite status it might make sense to burn off the miles. I have suggested to AC that if the mm'er flies 50K Q miles they add those to the base status. I have also suggested they only do that for people over a certain age in order to capture their loyalty even more after retirement. they didn't like my suggestions at all.

4. BlondeBomber
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I like Hilton's system of recognizing reward stays as stays towards status--you don't get points of course but you get a stay/night credit for a reward stay. I would think something like that could work for airlines. Under such a scheme you would get status credit for miles flown but no miles credited (who needs more miles anyway!). Wonder if any ff scheme does this?

Have a great 2013 however you fly!

tomh009 likes this.
  5. I think ICHG does the same thing but doesn't advertise it. I had almost a million points and started using them mixed with paid stays and had my RA status renewed although I don't think I quite hit their requirements for paid stays.
    If the airlines did that it would be pretty good for guys like you and I.

6. BlondeBomber
    Original Member

Status Points:
    definitely!:)

7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It may not be much, but lifetime E (Altitude 50K?) has real value. I shudder just to think of the idea of travelling entirely without status after retirement ...

8. I'm hopeful that AC will improve the MM program as it matures.

9. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given recent improvements with the introduction of the Altitude programme, I have little doubt that the MM programme will be improved by replacing it with the 1.5MM programme. Which will give Elite 35K status for life.

guinnessxyz, mevlannen and tomh009 like this.
  10. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    They give you a "one time" 20 eUpgrades to celebrate hitting the milion miles. It would be a nice touch if they bunged 20 extra credits into your account annually - for those of us that continue to be SE's E75 or E50, there really isn't any ongoing recognition or benefit to the program as currently constituted until our travel falls below E50.

(Having the SD offer to drop off a glass of wine from the front when stuck in Y would also be a nice touch that wouldn't cost them anything).

tomh009 likes this.
  11. based on the number of mm'ers now appearing that might well be true. There are only about 300 or so 2MM'ers and as I'm told only three 3MM'ers. My beatch is that I accumulated a lot of miles between 1984 and 88 and whole whack on CP,possibly as high as 500K, they don't count.

12. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    AC doesn't give a fig's ass about retirees. If they did, they'd have designed the lifetime Elite/MM program like LH's and included an age threshold. They know once retired, the company-paid-for high fare travel ends and the person starts buying lower fare classes since they pay in after tax, personal dollars. A lifetime of loyalty means nothing to AC...and the very mention of any CP history turns them apoplectic! (No other airline program has refused to recognize MM-eligible mileage earned on the acquired carrier as AC has. Not to mention not counting mileage earned since the very start of their FF programs. AC has done both.)

YULtide likes this.
  13. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA has started doing this for its un-upgraded 1Ks from time to time (in addition to the 10 drink vouchers included in the annual card/tag kit). Of course, AA always gives its ExecPlats comp drinks and BoB items when they are flying coach. Maybe this is will be AC's mystery benefit?

YULtide likes this.
  14. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which is likely why AC refuses to acknowledge those miles many of us have flown. I had over 230K eligible AC miles in the first 3-1/2 years and 680K CP miles (using the AC MM criteria). If AC would have recognized those miles, I might continue flying them to hit 2MM but as it is I'm not even bothering with 1MM.

YULtide likes this.
  15. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only when there's a glitch in the computer system, though I've heard of people sending in award segments months after they've flown to BMI and getting them credited as actual mileage for status and redemption. SPG started recognizing award and cash&points stays for status stay/night credit last year. And I've had reports from others who thought they wouldn't requalify for ICH RA because of too many award nights versus revenue, but they did.

YULtide likes this.
  16. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I realize that. It doesn't matter to them, but it does matter to me ... :D

YULtide likes this.