AC Agent at EWR Deletes Passenger's Photos

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by UA191, Dec 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    MSYgirl likes this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish someone would ask me for my phone / camera to delete pictures I took. :)

3. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed - why is it always the wimps that just stand there and take it?

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have said Go Pound Sand to whoever asked me. :rolleyes:

UA191, FriendlySkies and MSYgirl like this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been known to be a little more colorful to people that overstep their authority... :)

6. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    This.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always easy to post to the internet from the comfort of your couch.

LETTERBOY, viguera and tomh009 like this.
  8. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    "AC" didn't really do this, unless someone can show that this is company policy. An individual, who is an AC employee, overstepped his or her bounds.

As for me, I have had very positive experiences with the AC agents at EWR, though I rarely visit the check-in counter.

9. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always expect delays and pad my itinerary in expectation of them, so I would not care if I got canceled or delayed. There is no law (that I know of) barring people from taking pictures in an airport.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure, if you have the time, go for it. Here's something to prepare you:

https://www.aclu.org/free-speech/know-your-rights-photographers

(added a donation to the ACLU and EFF to my year-end to-do list)

gaijin62, UA191 and MSYgirl like this.
  11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps, but I'm terribly abrasive myself, and the worst thing these people can run into is someone that knows what they are and are not entitled to do... There's no policy against photography in public spaces at the airport, and you're well within your right to photograph or even videotape anything that happens, albeit the TSA folks (or in this case this particular gate agent) are not comfortable with the practice.

I've told off several people at the airport and on the street when they overstep their boundaries, to the tune of "why don't you shut the F up" -- maybe I lived in New York for too long, I don't know.

The Winger likes this.
  12. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link. A few years ago I would get stressed out if I was late, got delayed, or a flight got cancelled. To alleviate the stress I started padding my trips with an extra day before and after, so even an overnight delay wouldn't matter (I've had several of these connecting through DFW when my MSY flight was late coming in and caused me to miss the last flight out to London - this has happened several times). Despite this, I do understand that many others are under tighter time restrictions and could not afford a delay or cancellation.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that's all correct. And maybe the AC agent in this story would have backed off if challenged. Or maybe she would have escalated further. And cops aren't necessarily always following the rules they should. Having witnesses around would be a good thing, so the agent can't accuse you of something you didn't do. I certainly wouldn't have handed over my camera to her, I probably would have walked away.

And I have some nice photos of malfunctioning UA kiosks and flight information displays at SFO. Was never challenged :)

UA191, viguera and MSYgirl like this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Here's a question: the airport in general is public property, which assures the right to photography.

What about space leased by the airlines? If I am in the United Club, in a building owned by the public but partially leased to United, can United restrict my right to take pictures of their awesome snacks and drinks?

15. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The check-in counter space is probably leased to the airlines as well so maybe it doesn't count as public space, either ... :eek:

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That would have been my follow-up question :) But how far does that leased space reach? (I have a pretty good telephoto lens :D)

(I have always wondered what authority those elite security line BP checkers have... are they operating in public space, or do the airlines lease the space right in front of the elite checkpoints so they can give their elites exclusive access to the TSA backrubs?)

tomh009 likes this.
  17. 2by4

2by4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    LETTERBOY likes this.
  18. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have just acknowledged her by looking at her directly in the eye, then give her the silent treatment.

Better off saying nothing, she can yap all she wants.

viguera likes this.
  19. BackSlash

BackSlash Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's stories like this that make me so freaking angry! Anyone who works at the airport can make up whatever policy they like as long as you don't have the time to asset your rights. You don't have to miss your flight, all the agent needs to screw you royally is to keep you talking long enough to miss the baggage drop-off cut-off.

viguera likes this.