AC/AE IT "features"

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by igloocoder, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I figured we could do with a thread to discuss some of the finer "features" of the AC/AE IT we get to interact with.

I'll start with mine from today. It appears that during specification gathering it was decided that the should be a user story that reads:

When trying to cancel a flight pass booking that has had an upgrade/waitlist applied to it, the user should think "this is an edge case scenario, I should call to make this happen" and proceed to call the phone desk to complete their desired transaction.​

Apparently the "only online" mantra for flight pass actions is extended to everything except applying upgrades (although that might change with eUpgrades, but I'm not holding my breath), removing upgrades and cancelling upgraded flights. Having those covered by online functionality would be too much like you could perform all flight pass actions "only online".

Better yet, if you're not going to provide this functionality, how about not providing the Cancel button when a flight is upgraded? Or, in a fit of lucidity, how about an error message that says "Hey you can't do this" instead of the crap that is currently vomited onto the screen.

Speaking as a card carrying geek, probably the most frightful thing through this experience was being told by the SE Desk that "Oh, it's now only have way done. Let me call the help desk to finish that." WTF buttercup? Your system allows me to put data into an invalid state (ticket was cancelled but the credit wasn't added back to my account I think)? Doesn't this fly in the face of everything we know and do as IT professionals?

Colour me unimpressed....until I find the person who is responsible for this and I figure out how to get a contract to fix it.

2. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just read your post and understood 1/4 of it! :p

3. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yah my bad. Am off the road this week and next to take care of The Charming +1 and her newly mangled knee. After that is 3+ weeks on the mini-RTW. I think I'm already missing writing emails for my clients <gag/> ;)

4. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least I understood that post! :p

5. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    So does the "Not the Brightest Crayon in the Box" comment apply to you too now? [​IMG][​IMG]

6. wwtsang

wwtsang Silver Member

Status Points:
    understood the post [​IMG]
    based on how AC is outsourcing their IT contracts i'm not terribly surprised, i don't blame the coders/bug injectors, bad QA [​IMG] AC/AE should recruit techie FFs to aid with their UAT if they don't already do so, i'll contemplate working for status miles or eUpgrade credits with no expiry [​IMG]

7. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just tried logging into AE site, very slow. Similar to yesterday from the office.

8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is 1405 now in YYZ and I just logged on with no issues and fine speed. I guess as everything it does vary. Even from FRA it was very good very early this morning YYZ time.

9. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's bad now. Trying to set up somebody's password (they forgot it :rolleyes:). Taking forever! :rolleyes:

10. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still fast here now. Let me know their Aeroplan number, passwords new and old, credit card details, etc. and I will happily change their password for you :) Always willing to help!

11. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are so kind! While you are collecting these items, please book me to SYD in F.

12. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anything for a follower :)

13. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any possibility I can loan that Leslieville luck charm! [​IMG]

14. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ha - seems to me you are so well liked we need to borrow from you kind sir! [​IMG]