AC 007

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by chef4u, Sep 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    My daughter is flying on AC 007 which is YYZ-YVR-HKG. From what I understand there is a 4 hr. stopover in YVR. A couple of questions...

I assume they disembark the plane for a few hrs in YVR. Is it also an equipment change?

Can anyone share their experiences with AC 007?

As well, by chance does anyone have a spare MLL pass? I'd like to surprise her with one for the stopover.

As always, thanks in advance!

2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have done this in the past. Yes you do disembark the plane and you must remove all your belongings. Most times it is the same metal ongoing to HKG but I have had occasion where they change the metal, so that is why you do not leave your stuff on board. You will however (almost 100%) arrive at and leave from the same gate. Unless YVR screws things up she will not have to clear security again. As she is traversing down the hall from the plane she will (or should) come to a junction where turning right will take her to domestic arrivals but going forward will take her to USA and international connections. A little further on she will have a chap who will look at her boarding pass and then she is in the international secure area. If she keeps walking through that area she will pass some shops on the left, some eating establishments on the right and then into a shopping concourse. If I recall correctly the MLL is in that area on the left hand side.

Sorry cannot help with the pass.

Hope she has great trip!

NYBanker and milchap like this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Additional information - Above I said arrive and depart from the same gate - while physically it will be the same gate, numerically it will likely change as you arrive at a domestic gate, but depart from an international gate... just to clarify.

YULtide likes this.
  4. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I recall gates 50-52 are interchangeable gates between domestic and international flights

YULtide and ACMM like this.
  5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe you are correct - I could go and look at my boarding passes but that would mean getting up and walking down three flights to the basement :)

YULtide likes this.
  6. jerryhung

jerryhung Silver Member

Status Points:
    My recent experiences with United UA853 SFO-NRT, NRT-TPE
    - we de-plane with all personal belongings
    - we used the same 772 plane, so I assume all our checked luggages stayed for NRT-TPE onward pax
    - I got the same seat all across
    - we used same gate 31 at NRT

I still don't understand the rationale behind those 1 flight # 2 segment... vs. 2 flight #'s
    Is there any benefit to it?

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're just messing with your head.

guinnessxyz likes this.
  8. Well for instance, if you are a mileage hound, YYZ/YVR/HKG if done on the same flight no., or the nonstop flight, gives you 15620 miles and, if done on separate flight nos. gives you 16954miles. In AC's world a cnx pax moves higher up the UG standby ladder although I'm not certain it works on that particular routing.

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    TPE-NRT-SFO is the same flight number, hence one mileage is given. If one wants to hound mileage, they will have to do NH TPE-NRT followed by UA NRT-SFO

From the airline route design perspective, NRT is a hub, all the flights to/from US arrive at a similar time followed by flights to/from Asia.

Here is my guess - People are asked to get off, so ground crew can prep the plane for the next departure (PITA trying to clean a plane with a whole load of pax) and re-screen pax for security reassurance and re-account the passengers on the computer system. The idea is a sterile departure where everything should be rescreened/account for departure.

There has been past incidents like Philippine airlines, air india where pax disembark mid journey or no show while leaving consequential items behind. I will let Discovery Channel fill in the rest.

Gargoyle and YULtide like this.
  10. jerryhung

jerryhung Silver Member

Status Points:
    sorry to go off-topic OP... but why not just use 2 SEPARATE flights if to prevent pax staying behind
    after all that is the general airline model, as you don't see such 2-segment flight # in domestic

I imagine it's more than just "reducing miles for pax". Thanks for the answers thus far though

e.g. UA has UA882 from BKK-NRT-ORD, then UA838/852 TPE-NRT-SFO (UA853 for SFO-NRT-TPE), etc..

Gargoyle likes this.
  11. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:

Flight number is assigned by airlines for their internal use.... Examples I personally seen include:

- flight number as a route number,
    - flight number as a airplane or crew assignment "block" over a period of time....
    - some use it for advertisement/sales purposes (that we have 2 flights a day going from A to B) and assuring the customer its more or less the same equipment while reusing the same resources
    - pick up/drop off along a route to get more business along the way or to switch off crew(s)

Its highly dependent on individual airlines and how they perceive the flight numbers

YULtide likes this.
  12. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, Brussels Airlines flies BRU-BJM-NBO-BRU on a single flight number. I flew that route in May, getting off at BJM. The homeward, it was BJM-NBO (stop and clean plane) NBO-BJM. At the NBO stop some pax disembarked, then we stayed aboard while the cleaners came onboard to clean, the more pax embarked and we carried on. Crew changed at NBO.

13. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In Asia, AC007/008, SQ001/002 all used a similar system back in the 1990s......... but lot of the rules got changed due to events that has happened and customs/immigration policy changes.....

I recall on those A340s...... as we waited @ YVR, cleaners came and clean..... repairmen came and changed light bulbs and meanwhile 70% of us continuing were just waiting/walking around restlessly in the cabin..... uuggghhh complete chaos

Gargoyle and YULtide like this.
  14. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    If her flight has happened - was it a good one I hope?

15. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flight is in December..thanks for asking.

ACMM likes this.