ABSOLUTE THAI, Restaurant Review

Discussion in 'Washington, DC' started by Junca, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    View attachment 365
    Absolute Thai in Washington DC

A new favorite Thai restaurant in Chinatown. Well, I use the term “new” loosely as I think it has been here for well over a year. I watched as the previous restaurant went out of business and the building was renovated, and was pleasantly surprised on my first visit. I love these old buildings being fixed up. It is not very large, a long and narrow restaurant, but it is nice atmosphere and is very pleasant between 1130-1200pm, before the heavier lunch crowd arrives.
    IMG_0392b resize2.JPG
    IMG_0393b.JPG
    IMG_0394b.JPG
    As it’s very close to work and we go there every few weeks for lunch. During the winter I have been sticking to one fav dish: Tom Yum Gai Sub Noodle Soup

Thin noodles, minced chicken, bean sprouts, green beans in spicy lime broth. Topped with crushed peanuts & crispy chicken wontons, served in a clay pot.

Also served with a veggie spring roll. The soup is a wonderfully spicy (although the hotness can vary a bit) noodle soup with tasty chicken meatballs. It’s just irresistible in the winter. I can’t even finish the bowl, although I come close if really hungy (or really aggravated from work).

IMG_0402.JPG IMG_0403b.JPG

mht_flyer and Chimpy like this.
  2. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Makes me feel hungry, thanks for the photographs.

3. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    A full bar is available, although I usually get just a soda which is re-filled multiple times during lunch. The one time I ate there on a week-end the Lunch Specials were not available, but a nice selection of tasty Thai is. Unfortunately, the Tom Yom Gai Sub Noodle Soup is only on the Lunch Specials, not the regular menu. Also... there is a regular menu everyday. You don't have to order off the lunch menu and prices are reasonable!

Located in Chinatown, on the east side of the Verizon Center.

PS. Check out the cool "wash basin" by the restrooms.

Photos were taken from phone ... sorry for some of the quality.

IMG_0397b.JPG

IMG_0399b.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0408.JPG

4. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay ... now can anyone tell me how to make my images smaller ?? Thanks [​IMG]

5. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a great restaurant, I usually stay at the Renaissance when in DC, so this will definitely be a option next time I'm in DC.