Above and beyond 2MM?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by boxedlunch, Sep 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. boxedlunch
    Original Member

boxedlunch Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I was wondering...since the MM program is (nearly) official, who is gunning for 3MM+ to protect against the possibility of a 4-tier elite system sometime down the road? :eek: --No, this isn't a rampant speculation thread about whether Maya would do that or not.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is this, UA? I hope not...I'm not sure I'll make 1mm by the time the deadline rolls around unfortunately. I have to figure out if it's worth it to transfer a bunch of SPG to get me there. As of right now, I think I'm going to hold onto them and wait for a promotion to transfer in hotel miles (like US's 75% one) which would be far more valuable to me.

3. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tried to get closer though ... When the program "Restarts" I'll be LT PLATINUM with only 300K miles to the 3MM, I'm gunning like an insane man this year due to this change! I'm just curious how AA plan to maintain some profit on its miles for sale (Mileage Multiplier and Website purchases) since less people will be buying less miles now.

2soonold likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've never understood the drive some have for LT status. The amount of time, effort, and money that ends up spent in the pursuit of LT status has never seemed like a good investment to me. I'm not so worried about not sitting in an exit row or eating in the food court rather then the lounge, especially when weighed against all the cash I'd have to spend to get it in the next few years.

If AA ever introduced LT EXP, that would be a different story. I'd be willing to change some behavior toward that goal. I still wouldn't go to the lengths some do to get LT miles though.

As has been mentioned numerous times when discussing these issues, most would agree that this line of thought seriously overestimates the # of people who purchase miles for LT status. Just a drop in the bucket. The majority of people who do purchase miles are doing it.... to use the miles. ;) That business will continue without interruption.

As a number of news articles and posts here on MP indicate, AA's cost structure and labor relations are infinitely more likely to effect the financial bottom line than changes to the LT program.

5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a UA & AS guy, I only happened to see this on the home page, but I can tell you that the lifetime perks on UA are pretty nice. Also on AS. But since they only count flown miles there's not a lot you do besides travel. On Alaska, when you get a million you are lifetime MVP Gold, which gives you a good upgrade chance on the short routes and exemption from change fees. On United, at 2MM I got lifetime club membership, and I will soon reach lifetime 1K, which I think corresponds to EXP. But I joined in 1981 and traveled for business for 30 years and only discovered MP & FT a couple of years ago. I think the lifetime benefits are great, but I agree that they are so far out that it's hard to motivate behavior to achieve them. It's more a reward for long-term loyalty.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's the key to my thoughts on this whole thing: great to earn in the long run, but am I going to go out of my way to earn the miles so I can get some leg room and chex mix in the lounge for the rest of my life? No way.

I like that UA has lifetime 1K but in my ideal program it would be at a higher level than they currently offer it at, and I still find EXP a better elite tier. AS doesn't work for me because I travel mostly international for leisure and my domestic flights are on contract due to my job. I suppose I might just be thick headed, but I don't see what the allure is for people to spend thousands of dollars on it. Even if they nix the program, I wouldn't be upset about never getting lifetime status.

7. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, first of all, I think it's a good investment for me since I'm only 26 years old, and second, theory is much different than practice. Only time should answer correctly about that. I can say for my family. We travel a lot, and we all have citi credit cards, and we also buy the full amount of miles allowed per year to get close to the LT status. Now, for us, it will be all over. We will stop using Mileage Multiplier, buy AA miles through the website, and will cancel the Credit Cards, since we have a better good deal with GOL airlines, but we used the Citi Card due to the Lifetime Status! Then again, it's my point of view and my curiosity!!!

2soonold likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The value of most things is subjective, so there's no argument there. What something's worth is going to vary from person to person. I just don't personally value the limited benefits of LT PLT/GLD at nearly the amount of money people spend to get the miles at an accelerated rate.

9. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my case, they "were" very nice. I won't be flying any paid tickets on UA at all next year Just can't get excited about 50% bonus miles in the new lifetime 1MM program compared to 100% bonus miles I'll accrue at AA. I'd much rather bring in 10,000 miles flying coast to coast with AA than 7,500 with the new program at UA.