Suggestion Ability to turn off images?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by estnet, Sep 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of us have VERY slow internet connections and/or data limits.
    Some posts have LOTS of pictures and while they are beautifula and LARGE the thread takes forever to load so...... it would be really nice if there was an option to have text only (and even nicer if there was a way to click on an icon of an image to selectively see an image - don't know how hard that is to do).
    While I love MP I don't want to use all my data up just on MP

2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    While you can turn off signatures, which will speed things up soon, I don't think there is any way to selectively turn off some images and not others.

Signatures are in their own div, so that can be isolated in the MP software. Graphics are basic html, you would need to globally turn them off in the browser.

I have encouraged people to keep inline photos small, no need for them to be over 100 or 150k, but most people don't really understand graphic file sizes or how to use the tools to resize/resample them.

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was hoping this was something that MP could do on their end so I could choose it as an option in my profile. Some posters (who I like to read - would it help if I could somehow "hide" them?) post LOTS of very large photos that take me forever to download - and while they are beautiful it uses up a lot of time and data every time I look at the thread containing them.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    at first glance i did not see any remedies for this including looking at available plugins, but understand the drain as photos are very easy to upload here vs. other forums. I'll have one of hte tech guys who are always much smarter than I look around a bit more. Thnaks for the query.

5. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    estnet -- just giving ya a few 'likes' along teh way!;)

miles and smiles and estnet like this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks very much - the photos are beautiful but with my connections speed and data limits it is a pretty big issue for me)and I suspect others).

7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much - I aspire to gold;)

8. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The images that are uploaded into MP are shown as thumbnails if you aren't logged in. While a more permanent solution is developed, you may want to consider logging out for certain threads (though I understand the pain of logging in and out from when my connection was resetting a few weeks ago). Just a thought to consider for when you are on slow connections.

9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting......not perfect but thanks for the info, might have to try it.

Tinkerer and miles and smiles like this.
  10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    hmm, if the photos can be turned off for people who aren't logged in, then there is a way to switch it off in the software... that should be able to be turned into an option switch for members.

11. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    + one on the suggestion, even on a fast connection they can bog down my original iPad.

miles and smiles likes this.
  12. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes please....I certainly hope so!

miles and smiles likes this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The ability to disable the rather "heavy"client-side Javascript would be great as well. I am pretty sure I asked a while back about a lightweight interface for mobile browsing and nothing came from it. Seems I'm not the only one.

I, too, can disable images and javascript on my client but it is annoying as MP is realy the only site where it is necessary to maintain reasonable performance. Not everyone uses an iPhone. A bit of love for that half the world surewould be nice.

14. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I use the Milepoint Android app all the time, it's a lightweight mobile interface.

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    For those for whom there is not an app available the lack of a lightweight interface sucks. The fact is that they can deliver the data, as proven by the fact that the apps work and they only pull the lower data volume to keep their impact low. So someone has decided to not do it. That's not very helpful.

I asked about something similar here and got no response at all. :rolleyes:

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know this is an old topic however it would be great to be able to use a "thin" version of Milepoint when in the air for example (on EK we have to pay for MB after a certain point!). Elimination or turning off of images would really help.

Please thanks if this can be considered- it would be really appreciated.

Mark and estnet like this.