Ability to Got to Next/Previous Thread within a thread

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by JasonH, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are times where I want to step through threads in a board I am active in and read them all. Right now I am going back to the board screen and selecting the next thread. It would be nice to have the option to hit Next or Previous to step through the threads and have those buttons take you to the first unread post, just as when you click into a thread.

Travelman likes this.
  2. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tim, This would be a next feature. I agree with Jason - I find that I have to go back to the forum board to click the next thread ... a small link either at the top or bottom of the page would be helpful. Thanks for implementing some of the other suggestions made in Beta feedback threads ... the team must be quite busy right now as 1-Mar approaches.

3. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    The final word is with the admins, but I think it would be challenging to implement, because the order of threads in a forum can change while you are reading the thread.

What I usually do, is just opening each thread in a separate window (or tab). This way, I always have the list of threads in hand.

4. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cockpitvisit, Thanks for sharing your tip with us on how you handle this situation.

5. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be aware that method uses a huge amount of memory. Even with just 2 MP tabs/windows open (and nothing else) I get low memory warnings from time to time. When I first started on MP I'd open more and crash the browser.

Travelman likes this.
  6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh ya -- I currently have 15 tabs in FF open. Very useful and effective, but every once in a while when FF has taken almost 1 GB of memory I save the session and restart it ... gives me another couple of hours ... all depends on how active I am refreshing, posting, etc.

7. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    That, to me, is a huge problem. It's not that I don't have the horsepower in my machines to handle that, but I don't want to devote one CPU core to running a browser. More specifically your solution doesn't go to the heart of what I was hoping for. So let me try again in more detail.

I spend an inordinate amount of time in Travel|Dining - General Discussion|Travel. In fact I attempt to read or respond to most all of the threads there. But when I need to walk away for a few hours I would like to start at the last active thread and step through each thread. I realize that the location in the list can change if I have it sorted by last post date, but I can also change the sort if I want to. This way I can walk through each thread and read/respond to them.