Suggestion Ability for thread creator to edit the thread name

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by ACMM, Sep 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any consideration to allowing the creator of a thread to edit the text in the thread title? Reason? Often a mistype is made and it would be useful to edit the thread title to correct the text. Depending on how things are immediately indexed etc., this may or may not be possible, but would like to put it forward as a suggestion (if not already made).

2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I seem to recall a discussion early on, people agreed it would be good for fixing typos, but had concerns about changing the meaning of the thread. For example, I could post a thread titled "Post here if you love Delta Skymiles", and after some people posted, I could change it to "Post here if you hate Delta".

Someone presented a much better, more subtle example, but that should give the general idea; concern that it could, in theory, and in some very rare cases, allow for abuse/misuse or embarrassment to the responding posters.

miles and smiles and ACMM like this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reasonable I guess ... then just give me the edit capability -- I am trustworthy - after all I am a cat ;)

miles and smiles likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, but what if I started a thread called "Delta Opinion" and then in the first post wrote "post here if you love Delta" and then later changed the BODY of that post...

Basically, I think the risk of abuse is minimal and the benefit is significant. Unless there's a technical reason for not allowing it, I don't understand why we don't have that ability.

miles and smiles likes this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I do participate in another forum, one with many more members, where the OP's can change the title. It doesn't seem to be a problem there.

6. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    Silly OPs not checking what they write before they post it.

I'll throw it into the suggestion box, but I personally don't see a big need for it. I haven't come across many significant typos that would change the meaning of anything, so I'd guess it's more to minimize appearances of spelling/grammar police correcting you right? :p

I'll mention it to the rest of the Milepoint crew.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What's the reason FOR the restriction?

8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Busted! :D :p

Koschmar likes this.
  9. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    It's one of those more positive than negative things. A solid, unchanging subject is better than the ability for the above mentioned scenario to happen. Where the actual post is only reflected on the OP, the subject can influence how everyone else's comments are taken. The only real positive use I can think of is for correcting typos. The subject line is usually too short to convey the wrong idea entirely.

Mikel, who would be the real expert on why this was restricted in the first place, is living large on vacation right now but I'll direct him to this thread when he is back on Monday.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's not only typos. There are also unclear or vague subjects ("please help me" or "question about chase") that, with some prodding of the audience , could be fixed by the OP. I really suspect the admins would have better things to do, so I for one tend to not report those threads.