ABC News Tracks Missing iPad To Florida Home of TSA Officer

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, Sep 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/abc-news-tracks-missing-ipad-florida-home-tsa/story?id=17331937

In the latest apparent case of what have been hundreds of thefts by TSA officers of passenger belongings, an iPad left behind at a security checkpoint in the Orlando airport was tracked as it moved 30 miles to the home of the TSA officer last seen handling it.

Confronted two weeks later by ABC News, the TSA officer, Andy Ramirez, at first denied having the missing iPad, but ultimately turned it over after blaming his wife for taking it from the airport.

The iPad was one of ten purposely left behind at TSA checkpoints at major airports with a history of theft by government screeners, as part of an ABC News investigation into the TSA's ongoing problem with theft from passengers.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/abc-news-tracks-missing-ipad-florida-home-tsa/story?id=17331937

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope they weed the thief out.

3. thetravelanalyst

thetravelanalyst Silver Member

Status Points:
    lol at him blaming his wife. he'll probably be sleeping on the couch for a few days.

in this day and age, stealing electronics is incredibly stupid

NYCUA1K, marcwint55, Espan and 2 others like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitively.

marcwint55 and Espan like this.
  5. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I can't help but say "Good Job, ABC"! You guys finally have done something useful for me. And really, blaming your wife.

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excuse me, what? These agents are smuggling stolen goods out of the secured area of an airport, under the color of their uniform. They're not in Gitmo WHY?

And a HISTORY? This is a known, ongoing problem? We have ongoing proof of criminal activity, but we allow the agents/agency to continue to provide security services?

If anything, this just proves that this job should require the background check a SECRET clearance would... if not an actual SECRET clearance.

servo46250, bigx0, marcwint55 and 2 others like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've said it before in a similar thread: if a crime against an on-duty police officer carries special penalties, crimes committed by on-duty police officers should also carry a special penalty. And I would apply the same to blue-shirts. It's not just theft.

boondr, SC Flier, Gargoyle and 3 others like this.
  8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's not mix blue shirts with police officers. Two very different categories. The blue shirts are the same idiots that wore ugly jackets in the 80's, just protected by a federal union and with a retirement plan funded by taxpayers now (the same taxpayers they steal from, gate-rape, etc.).

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The point is that, IMO, if you commit a crime while working in an official capacity, abusing the trust (chuckle) and special responsibility, you should be punished accordingly. There should be a difference between some random guy stealing my iPad out of my bag sitting under my table while I am getting a coffee refill at Starbucks and a TSA guy stealing my iPad out of my bag at the airport checkpoint.

(I realize this guy didn't take it out of the bag, but it's happened and really doesn't matter for my agument IMO).

10. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, yeah, they caught him good and pretty red handed. The report I saw suggested that the TSA had already canned him...

marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Canned? I think he should be held in solitary confinement in an active millimeter wave scanner until his trial date. :D

12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    We agree on this. It should be a federal felony with federal prison time mandatory.

Horse, marcwint55, Espan and 2 others like this.
  13. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  14. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    not to mention illegal and immoral.

uggboy and thetravelanalyst like this.
  15. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Considering my experiences with TSA agents, I'm not so sure I want them having clearance into anything. Also, background checks are quite pricy - I think the TSA is spending plenty already providing us with their 'services.'

16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a difference in having clearance vs. having access. The clearance process would weed out quite a few of the dickheads.

17. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am sure they will as there is good & bad in every group.

uggboy likes this.
  18. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed !! I'd like to see an official that was found guilty of an egregious crime should forefit their pension or have some other serious consequence besides penalties assessed by a court for the crime.

Horse, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  19. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We got what we paid for ... quasi-minimum wages for entry-level TSA employees and no federal employees rights and benefits because a certain party in congress refused to spend to properly select, to adequately train, or to pay them living wages ... and this was post 9/11. Further, I don't think they have a pension.

20. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very wrong. Check out the TSA careers page for accurate information.

Kalboz likes this.
  21. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was talking about the newly hired TSA employees (after 9/11) that are manning the gates and patting passengers down. I was not talking about the Air Marshalls, the executives, or other professionals transferred into the DHS' TSA from other federal agencies. According to their website (as you suggested) TSOs are the personnel primarily responsible for passenger screening, and that TSOs typically earn between $25K and $40K annually. To receive basic pay above that, TSO personnel must be in a supervisory position of increased responsibility. For example, a Lead TSO is responsible for training members of their team, and oversees the screening checkpoint on a day-to-day basis. Lead TSOs are paid at a maximum of $50,494.

uggboy likes this.
  22. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    So in your opinion, what would be a "fair" wage?

Kalboz likes this.
  23. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stealing is generally stupid but in this case it is even highly immoral considering what this person is entrusted to do for a living...

24. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could you give me an example of stealing that is not highly immoral? You have me stumped.

25. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please don't get me wrong here ... by no mean Mr. Ramirez' fair or unfair wages should justify his actions when proven guilty in court of law. He should be punished administratively and criminally. All I am saying here is we went cheap and this is what we got.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.