AAwards availability?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Gary72, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I am not sure whether it is just my recent searches or what, but appears that AA is getting stingier about awards. Recently, I have been investigating SAN-SJU. During the December 15-Jan. 9, all awards begin at 35K each way. On other airlines, I see availability for 17.5K????I am seeing similarly limited awards (i.e., only at higher levels) for SAN to Europe in late September through mid October???Anyone else seeing any pattern? In the past I have found AA to be far superior to UA, Delta, etc...for availabiity.

P.S. I look forward to the success and growth of this new website....At the risk of alienating some, I find it much more welcoming than FT to new posters....

2. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    The time period you cite is Christmas. AA has been pretty tight for MileSAAver awards over Christmas both last year and next year. They will wait longer to see if they can sell those seats before opening up the cheap awards in that time period.

3. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't have much experience booking awards on either AA or UA on any regular basis... however I used an AA award over the Christmas holidays, I booked it a month out and was able to get 20k off peak awards NA to Europe for early December departure and early January return. With UA I booked an award seven months out in the South Pacific, and availability was pretty scarce there as well.

4. I have mostly found AA to be good on award tickets versus other airlines. I am an AA nothing :p
    Try using Kayak and Skyscanner for those dates and then search awards for the routing that has the cheapest airfare.
    Its normally a good indication of loading, though of course it could be competitive pricing. Try it from LA and SFO for reference as well. Good Luck

5. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I assisted 2 of my relatives to get tickets to New Zealand/Australia from Michigan using AA miles. Only took 75K each & they each got 150K AA points signing for 2 AA credit cards. [​IMG]

6. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    No problems getting MCO-LAX in early May. We are gold only until end Feb, then we go back to being peasants so I hope we get to keep our preferred seats up front.

7. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are ticketed before Feb. 28, and have seat assignments, you will not be reassigned because of losing elite status. If your seat assignment has to be re-done for another reason (such as IRROPS or aircraft downguaging, when you get your new seat assignment it will not be an elite preferred seat unless the Gold status remains in your PNR. There have been differing reports about whether the status lingers in the PNR.

JDiver and Tiki like this.
  8. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Gemac, hopefully we get to keep them. If we can't be in F at least row 9 is not bad!

gemac likes this.
  9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    AA is unquestionably the best airline for US domestic award availability overall. On specific routes other carriers be may better.

JDiver and TuesdayMass like this.
  10. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good suggestion about trying LA and SFO as well.

11. I agree AA has always been good to us domestically, and usually internationally, but so far it just seems like less availability. However, at least it is not Delta....I just did a quick check for a SAN-BOS Labor Day flight and while AA, UA/Contin are 25,000 miles, our friends at Delta want 40,000 miles...[​IMG]

12. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was able to get four QF awards for this summer in J to SYD no problem and there appears to be plenty of availability

gemac likes this.
  13. cptnkirk77
    Original Member

cptnkirk77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got a business class award from DFW to LHR for March a week or so after Christmas without any problems. There was plenty of availability at first, connecting in a few different cities, but as the week went on they all dried up. So I guess the moral of that story is book early...

14. As things improve for Airlines and the Economy gets good in a few years, analysts will go back to looking at outstanding airmile balances and liability it represents. Airlines will then respond to find methods to burn them, including higher costs for award tickets. Seems less than 30 booking makes sense, but Delta is gouging at 40K for over 6 months out and outside peak. (granted its a holiday, but not a well traveled one)

15. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm hoping AA availability extends to partners too! I know LA is a toughie but in Oct/Nov this year, I have to attempt to get 2 J class on QF/LA from BNE to Brazil (depending on if we can use GOL in there too). This would be for travel in 2012.

16. vike
    Original Member

vike Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not finding any saver awards CID - SAN in late July/early Aug. Last year (or year before) was no problem. Things appear to be changing, unfortunately.

17. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dec 15 - Jan 9 occurs during some of the highest demand times for Latin America (including San Juan) for AA,even baggage embargoes apply often, so I'd not expect Revenue Management to offer much in the way of discounted awards.

Seriously, it's about the demand for seats and sales of same that will determine availability of seats for discounted or full awards (as you imply AAnytime awards are available, but you want MileSAAver awards, and those arecertainly more restricted). Ditto SAN-Europe awards - you're searching the margins of high and shoulder season, not low season where there are often more SAAver seats available; do try other origins, such as LAX, as recomended. Basic market principles definitely do apply here. ;)

Good luck - persistence and flexibility are the answers.