AAVacations pay with miles behavior?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by viguera, Oct 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if anybody does this, but in the past I've used miles to pay for part (or even the full amount) of a vacation over at aavacations.com. You can generally redeem miles at about 1 cent a mile, which is not a terribly good rate, but you usually find pretty good bargains on hotel + flights, and if you have the miles then why not, right? :)

Just now I was eyeballing a quick overnight to MSP from New York this weekend -- 2 seats and a standard room at the HIX for around $500, which is pretty good since the flights alone are going for more than that right now.

But apparently something must have changed, because when I choose to pay with cash & miles, it only allows me to use a maximum of 9,900 miles.

Has anybody used the site recently for cash and/or miles redemptions? Was this something that was instituted recently? Personally I can't remember, but I'm fairly sure I've used a lot more than 9,900 miles in the past.

Thanks

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I saw that... I think there's a restriction so you either use the promo codes or miles, but either way it won't let me use more than 9,900.

I even used the wife's account to double-check, and she hasn't registered for that promo, but with both accounts it won't let me use more than 9,900 miles. I've tried IE as well thinking it was an issue with Chrome, but no luck.

I've reached out to customer service to see what's up.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    No response yet from AA, but I did notice this blurb on the bottom of the front page... not sure if that was there before:

So that got me thinking and I tried a few more itineraries and found out what's up... Apparently just as they say, the miles are restricted to covering only the amount of the hotel stay, but not the airfare.

I tried the same exact itinerary, but rather than the HIX for one night that would cost around $500 I tried a more expensive hotel and two nights (total trip cost $800), and sure enough it allows me to use up to 34k miles this time.

Looking back at saved copies of the "Pay with Miles" page, it seems this policy has been in effect for quite some time, so I guess I never booked a vacation with them before where the price of the land portion was so low that I would notice in the checkout page.

Oh well... live and learn I guess. At least I know why now. :)

OceanBreezes likes this.