AA's system gets creative to find me free F seats

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, Mar 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    "MilesAAver" roundtrip F seats (25,000 miles OW) between Wichita (ICT) and LAX are notoriously hard to snag, though it can be done. Many times the system has asked me if I could fly into SNA or ONT (and, until recently, BUR), instead of into or out of LAX. But tonight I was doing some checking and the system's creativity made those traditional alternatives look mild.

On the way out, it asked me if I wanted to go out with plane changes in DFW and then in EGE (Eagle, Colorado). SInce I am not a skier, it took me a few seconds to even recognize that code.

And how's this one for a carbon footprint on the return?: Los Angeles - Fort Lauderdale (!) - Chicago, all in F - and then Y on American Eagle to ICT, for 25,000 miles.

I appreciated it trying so hard, but declined its creativity. It may have been capable of such far-flung ideas all along, though this is the first time I had seen anything that exotic.

rwoman, sobore, perryplatypus and 4 others like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is LAX-FLL-ORD-ICT even a valid routing for LAX-ICT?

3. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    NYBanker I assume you mean a valid routing as if I were to take a published LAX-ICT fare and want to buy a paid ticket on it. I don't know too easily how to check the answer to that, but I sincerely doubt it.

Assuming both you and I are correct on our hunches there, that would tell me one of two things regarding AAdvantage award travel: (1) either the system messed up, or (2) the valid routings for AAward travel don't have to coincide with those for paid travel.

FYI, in order to keep that original post from getting longer than it already was, I omitted yet other creative milesAAver suggestions it had, like changing planes in El Paso and Dallas.

Another one was flying Eagle (I believe F) out of LAX to OKC, which is only 160 miles south of here, but then connecting to go away farther away -- down to DFW -- before hopping on an MD-80 to fly north to Wichita (that route takes one directly overhead OKC!) Bizarre!

NYBanker likes this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess all of this means they have lots of low miles seats available (as they're turning up three or four on the date you wish to travel), just none are too convenient for what you want to do.

However, someone looking to go LAX-FLL in F, or FLL-ORD in F should rejoice!

John777 likes this.