AA's longest flights?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by riceoven, May 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that the India routes are cancelled, what are AA's longest routes? Trying to see where I can get most "value" out of my SWUs :)

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    India routes? There was only ever one. ;)

Longest routes now are into Asia, so PVG/PEK/NRT. Other options are deep South America like GRU/GIG/EZE. LAX-LHR is a good distance. If you want to see where your best options are for using your SWUs, this wiki page might be helpful though it hasn't been updated in awhile so some flights that no longer exist (ORD-DEL, ORD-BRU, etc..) are still included: LINK.

3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting the question riceoven, being a new AA guy I was curious about this as well.

Thanks DD for the answer.

4. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently researched this to take advantage of the post MegaDo promo. From NYC, I think the longest flight is JFK-LAX-PVG. I was able to use my SWUs on this r/t flight.

5. folex386

folex386 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was able to use a swu on a lax-Mia-ord-PVG. I thought that was a pretty effective use of one.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There are quite a few good uses for SWUs, though I've never really taken advantage of anything spectacular. Most of mine have been point to point flights. I did ORD-DEL when it was active, which was probably my best value usage. I'm a huge fan of the subcontinent and really miss the DEL flight. :(

7. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's when you get into combinations of flights that the "longest...." gets interesting, since one can use a SWU for up to 3 segments.

I've done LHR-ORD-DEL, LHR-DFW-LAX-NRT, LHR-DFW-MIA-EZE, etc., each on one SWU....

schnitzel, kyunbit, folex386 and 6 others like this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have thought about GIG-JFK-ORD-PVG and went so far as to confirm EVIP availAAbility, but ended out EK GIG-DXB-PVG instead because I am seduced by the suites. Even so, those three leg long haul routes with a single EVIP are spectacular bargains. I have used lots of them for GIG-JFK-LHR, but mostly I have used them for GIG-MIA or GIG-JFK alone. They're great anyway. I love EVIPs!!

9. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, perhaps this (or a new) thread may include "longest use of an eVIP" :)

folex386, perryplatypus and jbcarioca like this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suppose we're slightly OT by so doing, but it certainly fits the OP's definition. I wish AA had more ULH flights so I could use more eVIP's. I now have a passle of them because of EXP requalification and another million miles.

folex386 and perryplatypus like this.
  11. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great question riceoven! This really helps my planning for next year run at requalifying. Maybe I'll even pay a visit to jbcaricoa in GIG for a few hours next year! Rio has always been on my bucket list.

aptraveler, folex386 and jbcarioca like this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're wanting to use eVIP's make sure you're coming out of season.

kyunbit and folex386 like this.
  13. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    What is considered low season for GIG?

folex386 and jbcarioca like this.
  14. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The way AA has been retrenching internationally, LAX-LGA may well be their longest route now. :) OK, just kidding. Like DD I too miss DEL and hope they bring it back asap, which will presumably be after the BK issues are dealt with.

folex386 likes this.
  15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no low season but the impossible ones are summer (early-December until Carnival is over are hard to find flights or accomodations at reasonable prices without long advance planning) during school holiday either North America or Brazil. Even at those times I've had eVIP's clear, but usually whenI was going opposite the larger flow of traffic. usually it is easier to get GIG-DFW than it is for JFK. MIA is easier during the higher seasons when AA has two daily flights. There is seasonal equipment and capacity changes on each of the routes (767 to 777, two flights or one, three class to two class etc) and eVIP's are most available just following the shifts to increased capacity.

Those rules probably apply almost everywhere, I suspect.

16. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    Great to know about DFW as that's my home airport. I am already planning trips to CDG and NRT next year. So GIG sounds like another good possibility. I will just have to find the routes that I can maximize miles as well as clear evips. ;)

aptraveler, folex386 and jbcarioca like this.
  17. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    LAX-BOS is still further and we hold onto 3 flights a day. We even get a fourth for the summer!

I'm using an SWU on BOS-DFW-NRT, pretty good for something that isn't deliberately circuitous. The theoretical longest I can think of now would probably be EZE-JFK-LAX-PVG for something that isn't too circuitous.

aptraveler, Aktchi and jbcarioca like this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am quite certain you're right about that. One eVIP could upgrade it too!:)

perryplatypus and aptraveler like this.
  19. CrazyMonkey
    Original Member

CrazyMonkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are looking to maximize a SWU....I did this on UA a few years ago....EZE-IAD-LAX-SFO-HKG-SIN all on one SWU...all connecting flights were inside of 12 hours so it qualified....With that said...you could probably do the same on AA except from South America going through AA hubs then ending in PVG or NRT....

jbcarioca and perryplatypus like this.
  20. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you do a stopover on an SWU? If so, that LHR-DFW-LAX-NRT is really appealing . . .

21. CrazyMonkey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    From what the EXP desk told me, ff you an schedule it within 12 hrs from landing to the next departure of all your segments. This was the rule at UA as well...so, you may have to fly...LHR-DFW-SFO (arrive at say 10pm) then continue to LAX before 10am the next day and then NRT......

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure how AA would handle that with an SWU, I don't think the four segment LHR-DFW-SFO-LAX-NRT would work with one SWU. I don't know whether they would let you skip using it on the SFO-LAX and use the three longest segments or not, I don't think they would.

23. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right - max of three segments on an SWU.

24. CrazyMonkey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Didn't know that with AA since the most I had is 2 segments....If it is 3 segments...then you may want to consider LHR-DFW-ORD-NRT to max it with the 12 hr connections if LAX will not work.

25. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually followed LHR-DFW-LAX-NRT with an onward NRT-HKG-SIN on CX on an AA Codeshare, heading
    to an FT Singapore Do/SIN Run (so the AA flight was LHR-DFW-LAX-NRT-HKG-SIN).

Definitely great to return from that with a MASSIVE ramp up of mileage account, althought I distinctly recall a moment somewhere over the north pacific when one realizes that upgrade or not, they've been sitting in a metal tube for a long, long time.

That said, if any are keen to give that same route a go, message me. It would be a fun MR with others along.

perryplatypus likes this.