AA's Award Map Tool

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Mar 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    AA released it's newest web feature a few days back - the Award Map. Have played around with it a bit and it's interesting though could use a few improvements.

The main screen gives you an option to select your departing airport, departure date, return date, number of passengers, and the total number of miles you'd like to use.

;;;;;.JPG

The "To" option has a drop down box gives AA's standard geographic award zones, plus allows you to search by recreational activities like "Beach/Golf/Ski".

;;;;;;;.JPG

Selecting the "more options" button under the Search button allows you to specify one way vs. round trip, cabin class, and number of stops you're willing to accept. The default searches for awars on partner airlines, but if you want only AA metal you can remove that radial click.

;;;;;;.JPG

Options come up as pins on the map which you can click for more detail and are also listed on the left hand side of the screen.

;;;;;;;;.JPG

Has anyone else poked around with this new tool? Thoughts on it? I wish I could select more than one geographic zone to search.

I mentioned elsewhere that I like to see this type of functionality on AA.com for revenue tickes where the mileage bar is replaced with a dollar amount you're willing to spend.

2. thethinwhiteduke
    Original Member

thethinwhiteduke Silver Member

Status Points:
    ive been playing around with it and its a fun tool. i almost never book mileage awards so it doesnt help my planning too much though. like you said, would love to see it with a fare component but that could get awfully tricky.

3. thethinwhiteduke
    Original Member

thethinwhiteduke Silver Member

Status Points:
    also would like it if you could search on a range of dates. as of now, you search one departure and return date only. with a range of dates or even a month then you can start seeing what destinations are available

4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    It feels rather buggy at this stage. The "Book Now" button is not working for me. To see the detailed available award itineraries, I had to restart search from the usual screen. So for now, this tool is more of a time wasting detour.