AARGH! I just purchased a revenue ticket on DL! It's Jeff-Robbo-style!

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by redtailshark, Apr 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am afraid...it's all true. Jeff! You win, this time. OK, you can allow yourself a small smirk - you witness a temporary defeat of your implacable enemy, the shark.

For the first time in two years I bought an actual DL revenue ticket to a destination other than RGN....thanks to an OTA discount code, the available options appeared miles better on DL. David, DLBeno, ATLDLFF and others, I tried to keep the faith.... the shark is very resourceful, as some of you well know. I tried all kinds of tactics to avoid this devastating outcome, for instance like positioning to SEA and then WAS, or via HNL/OGG or MEX/CUN, or even to FL from PHX on separate itins...but in spite of this investigation the cost/convenience differential was too great. Even AS couldn't be made to work.

At the last gasp, I contemplated using AV LM to reposition via another continent but by that point, it became clear that it would take 3 days to reach my destination and I'd have to burn valuable LM into the bargain just to avoid capitulating to the Jeffster.

So. It is, what it is.

Which is:

[​IMG]MEJOR EN SU CLASE[​IMG]

BTW, I have no expectations of UG, or even EC seat and I accept that I'll be lucky if I receive a bag-fee waiver. Crediting to AS or even FB would be a better idea than the black hole of DL SM. I'll be sure to post a trip report, from the apostate former heavy NW/DL flyer....

MX and DiverDave like this.
  2. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just wondering if this is for real, or if somebody has used Heartbleed to hack into the RTS account. :cool:

Myself, I am arm-wrestling with concur at this very moment to avoid being booked onto UA. I'm sure UA would be fine, but no point in passing up 100% mileage bonus with my Plat/PlAAt status with DL and AA. Admittedly UA miles are (presently) worth more than Skypesos, but not 100% more.

David

3. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly we are required to book through Concur. :( UA seems to be the low price leader on HSV-LAX/SBA routes most days.

David

5. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    We do as well, but sometimes Concur doesn't do its best (or easiest). I sometimes use google to force Concur into compliance. ;)

6. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I just managed to force some Delta flights out of Concur, so I guess I join the OP, though I've only been AWOL from the widget for six months by boarding time. :confused:

7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad I don't have to use Concur anymore. :mad:

DiverDave likes this.
  8. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to slam DL and their program but I'm starting to like their program now.

DiverDave, WilliamQ and gregm like this.
  9. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    :)Welcome to the Love-Hate family.

10. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    concur certainly has its issues and is clunky beyond belief. But at the end of the day, it mostly works and that puts it way ahead of a certain airline's website. :cool:

David

Flyer1976 likes this.
  11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    gregm, Jimgotkp, WilliamQ and 2 others like this.
  12. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hahah. Thanks! I'm probably not going to join Skymiles but I don't think they deserve the negative comments that they've been receiving.

LETTERBOY and WilliamQ like this.
  13. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cannot help but ask why not.
    See, their miles do not expire.
    If you are already taking their flight, get the miles event if it becomes miserable (from 2015).
    Some day... some day they just might become useful.
    For me, as long as no active action is required to maintain the account and current balance, that is a plus I cannot ignore.

LETTERBOY and gregm like this.
  14. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    - Their redemption rates aren’t bad ever since United devalued their award chart. American is most likely going to devalue their chart sooner or later.
    - They offer more award space to Medallion members, which United does as well. However, American doesn’t do this and they recently announced that they won’t allow manual requests to Rev. Mgmt anymore.
    - They allow stopovers on award tickets, which American doesn't allow anymore.
    - Over the past few months, I’ve noticed very little Saver award space on all legacy carriers (American, United, and Delta). Delta has always been known for not releasing much low-level award space, but this has recently been the case for American and United as well. I’ve noticed a lot less domestic award space being available even on non-transcontinental flights (ex. DFW-LAX, DFW-ORD, ORD-IAD, etc.) Only exception to this is US, since they tend to have good award space, even on their transcontinental flights.
    - From my own experience, I’ve noticed award space is generally not available on everyone’s preferred dates when it comes to international award tickets. Because of this, everyone has to be flexible with the departure and return dates, regardless of the miles you’re using.
    - As long as you know how to look up award space, you should be fine with finding low-level award space if you’re flexible with the dates and are willing to purchase a separate positioning flight due a lack of award space on the domestic segments.
    - It's easy to earn miles with them since they're partners with AMEX.

Just my views on this...

If you want to talk about their soft product, they're definitely #1 in the US. All of their BE seats are lie-flat for international flights, all of their Y seats have IFE on international flights, and they're now offering amenity kits to Y passengers. United is cost-cutting and their product has gone downhill since the merger while American still has a long way to go so all of their international flights have lie-flat seats in Business Class.

If you're wondering, I don't work for Delta.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  15. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Neither do I, but I sure do like 'em.;)

LETTERBOY and WilliamQ like this.