AAnytime Award Questions

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MyTravels, Aug 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Per the Making an award reservation site, changes to an eligible origin or destination on AAnytime awards are allowed at no charge.
    *If you can change zone's how is it handled?
    a) If you're moving up a zone (Northern South America - 35k to Southern South America - 60k ), can you just pay the 25k difference?
    b)If you're moving down a zone (Southern South America - 60k to Northern South America - 35k) would you forfeit the 25k difference (if you don't cancel and rebook)?
    c)Or does "eligible" mean you can only change within the same zones?

Years ago an AAgent told me that cancellation fees are waived on AAnytime awards (that would make the above mute) but the above site only says that Executive Platinum's have cancellation fees waived. Can someone confirm if cancellation fees do apply to AAnytime awards (if you're not EP)?

Thanks!

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. sk3

sk3 Active Member

Status Points:
    Strange that there's been no replies to this.

I've never used an AAnytime, of course preferring MileSAAvers, but with AA's new policy towards their MileSAAvers inventory it seems AAnytimes might be an unwelcome eventuality.

So I decided to look into them a little having originally assumed that they'd be treated as a full fare ticket, i.e. changeable and cancellable fee-free. Like the OP I didn't see on the website anything stating that the mileage reinstatement fee was waived for AAnytimes - so I called. Now granted, I only talked to one AA rep regarding this, but she insisted that ALL awards, AAnytimes included, incurred the $150 mileage reinstatement fee - unless you were an EXP.

I had read recently on the Traveling Better forum that AAnytimes had "free redeposit" (seen here in the first paragraph, third sentence). So either that writer was referring to EXP's tickets only - or - perhaps AAnytimes USED to be cancellable fee-free and AA deemed to change that policy too. The OP's recollection of what was told to him years ago would appear to back this up.

Have any non-EXPs here used AAnytimes in the past and can vouch for it then having a "free redeposit"?

And can anyone else confirm what that sole AA rep told me, that unless you're EXP you have to pay $150 to have the miles reinstated?

MyTravels likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This sounds like a great thread for AmericanAirlines to maybe chime in on? Let's send up a flare and hope someone sees it.... :)

MyTravels likes this.
  4. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    "AA's new policy towards their MileSAAvers inventory it seems AAnytimes might be an unwelcome eventuality."
    Can u please explain--thanks

5. sk3

sk3 Active Member

Status Points:
  6. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
  7. SuzanneSLO
    Original Member

SuzanneSLO Silver Member

Status Points:
    The portion of the AA site you linked says the following:

"A $150 USD charge will apply for a confirmed change to an eligible origin or destination on a MileSAAver award. Changes to an eligible origin or destination on AAnytime awards are allowed at no charge.
    Changes to the itinerary which involve different AAdvantage award(s) than originally ticketed require a reinstatement of the original award ticket, payment of the applicable award reinstatement charge (see below), and a new award ticket issued."

Generally, when a route requries a different number of miles, it is a different award. As I result, I would expect that changes in the zone require redepositing your miles ($150 fee is not waived as EXP), even with AAnytime Awards. A change to the itinerary that is still within the same AAnytime Award would not require a redposit and no fee would be charged. Hope this helps. -- Suzanne

8. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the first reply and all your DD!!
    It's now been a week and no word from AmericanAirlines ..
    Maybe the policy changed or maybe AA doesn't want to publish/encourage the use of a free AAnytime redeposit as they wouldn't want the benefit abused and that's why AmericanAirlines hasn't chimed in.

9. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's the question. The site does not specify what "eligible origin or destination" is or if you can pay the difference in miles. I haven't seen it published that you can go from a sAAver award to an AAnytime award by forking over the difference of miles, but you can.
    Actually, this is specified on the website:

10. SuzanneSLO
    Original Member

SuzanneSLO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you are right. Not sure how that "not" snuck into my post.

It seems obvious to me that the "eligible" part of that description refers to the award you have booked. That there is no mention of paying the difference in miles supports that the change must be to a trip which could have been booked with that award, and thus, no additional miles would ever be due.

Others may disagree with my view and of course, the only interpretation that really counts is that of AA.

Not sure how helpful it is that AA has an unpublished rule that you can switch from a MileSAAver to an AAnytime for the same origin and destination without a redeposit. --Suzanne

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It might have been a week but I've seen AmericanAirlines jump into other threads that sat for a bit longer and still offer some information. Which isn't to say they will or won't answer here, but there's still some hope.

MyTravels likes this.
  12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    My recollection is the double miles awards used to have attributes similar to a full fare ticket (in terms of changes, cancellation, etc). That hasn't been the case now for a few years.