Aadvantage says my last name is too long?@#$%#!

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by alfagirl, Sep 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    HELP!!!! :mad:
    Here is the long story: I have been flying the Alaska airlines BUR-PDX shuttle a few times a month for about six months. I have been unable to input my Aadvantage number in my record so I get the (not in order of importance) free checked bags, priority boarding and mileage credit. My last name is 21 characters. AA has told me (and our travel dept) that the system for partners and code shares will allow a maximum of 17 characters and since my name is longer than 17 characters in the reservation, the system calls it a mis-match. If it is a code-share I simply call American and they can add my account to the record, so at least I get credit automatically (I still have to bring my physical card to the Alaska check-in desk/gate agent). If it is an Alaska flight #, I have to wait 15 days after the flight and request credit – hoping that I don’t lose the BP with the ticket numbers.
    I have called and emailed American CS numerous times and have been told it is an Aadvantage issue and to please contact them. Aadvantage has provided me with several possibilities, none of them feasible and basically told me to go away.
    Has anyone else experienced this? If so, were you ever able to resolve it and how? I find it hard to believe that I am the only American Aadvantage member that has a last name more than 17 characters (although that is what the CSRs have led me to believe).

edekba likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    my last name is only 12 & i thought i had it bad.

3. FlyerChrisK

FlyerChrisK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your boarding pass isn't your only record of the ticket number. Your confirmation emails will generally have them as well.

4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've read that some cultures put their whole family tree into their last names. Descendants of some noble families sometimes have way more than the usual 3 names. Most of the people with such names solve their identification issues by creating a "last name" of manageable length and pronunciation. I don't think it would amount to your giving up your true name - just accomodating the companies and individuals who need to be able to address you somehow.
    You did it for Milepoint (right?) by not creating a 21-character long ID.

5. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but the name on my Aadvantage account has to match that on my Gov't issued identification -how do I get around that, short of legally changing my name?
    I don't think I can use my milepoint handle on my airline frequent traveler accounts

brodyf and Wandering Aramean like this.
  6. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    these types of trips are done via a corporate travel company and when the trip is over we do not have (easy) access to the ticket number.... I guess maybe I'll just start saving those itineraries somewhere on my desktop

7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:

Listen, if you're going to be serious about this hobby, you need to be willing to undergo certain minor inconveniences. . .