AAdvantage rules

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by r0m8470, Oct 23, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back in early 2014 (and I think there's been a few rule changes since then), I was allowed to book an itinerary with 'forced' stopover.

Me and my wife flew on SIN-HKG-LAX on J on day 1, arriving at LAX on day 1 (crossing IDL and all) but since there is no availability to continue to our final destination (AUS) on domestic F, we ended up staying for 2 nights at LAX. This is booked as a single award.

My recollection is AA does not allow stopover, but looking back at my trip, the stay in LA was a stopover, since it was well over 24 hours. I tried calling AA but the wait time is crazy, and the call back count is 3 hours or so. I thought I post the question here for the AAdvantage SME to chime in.

So to recap - the question is: In the case of where availability on certain class is separated by 1 or 2 days, can it still be ticketed?

Thanks in advance.

2. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    It can be done but they may enforce the next flight out in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that yours was a case of a "forced" stopover. Normally, I would consider a forced stopover to be a situation where there are no flights available at all, rather than no flights with available seats.

AA used to allow on international award tickets a "free" (for no additional miles) stopover in the domestic gateway city. That's likely how you were able to spend a few nights at LAX.

You can still ticket the exact same itinerary today, but at the cost of additional miles for the domestic segment(s). Stopovers in the domestic gateway city are no longer "free."

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you're right, now that I think about it. I remember taking advantage of that getting SAN-JFK-ZRH, with the SAN-JFK leg in April, and the JFK-ZRH leg in July.

OK, back to the drawing board ....