AAdvantage Platinum Card

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by John Woram, Jun 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got mine in the mail today and I'm wondering -- what's it good for? Nothing, I suppose, but who knows? I've got lifetime AC membership already, so I don't need it to get into a lounge. So, do I need it for anything else? I think I know the answer already (hint: 2 letter-word, beginning with "N" ;)). But when in doubt, it pays to ask.

Kalboz likes this.
  2. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The card also shows you are a oneworld "Sapphire" member. Some oneworld partner airlines have been known to ask for a card to verify Sapphire membership in granting admittance to business-class lounges worldwide on day of travel with a oneworld carrier, Yeah, yeah, I know, it should show on the boarding pass, etc., but just saying some personnel have been known to ask for the card.

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try accessing a BA lounge (where your AC membership is worth zero:)) without the card and there the is good chance you will spending time waiting with the great unwashed :D

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  4. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, FWIW my FF days are now mostly a distant memory, and I'm down to just a few annual JFK/EZE/USH or PUQ, and/or JFK/UIO/GYE junkets. For these, AA has the best options for the international legs, so I won't have much chance to try any oneworld clubs. And FWIW#2, I subsequently found a platinum page at aa.com/aadvantageplatinum which lists a few other perks.

5. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    In practice, the card doesn't have much use. You can negotiate most situations with the boarding pass. However, there will be that rare time when the bouncer at one of the OW partner lounges just has to see the card. That's about all I can think of.

6. Abidjan

Abidjan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Considering the possible ramifications, I find it little bother having it handy.

7. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, it's not that heavy so it's no bother at all to have it on hand -- just wondering if I was overlooking some sensational value in having it. I'll see what it does for me (if anything) on my next upgrade attempt.