aadvantage platinum - booking on BA

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ukaahopeful, Feb 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ukaahopeful

ukaahopeful Active Member

Status Points:
    I am looking at a 'Premium Economy' return LON-LAX-LON in May/June and am getting confused.

I like to book on AA to make sure I get my AAdvantage and million miler miles etc.

However, booking on AA seems expensive and never non-stop, whereas BA has direct flights cheaper.

What do I lose by booking on BA?

I'm guessing I'll get full AAdvantage miles if I put the right number in the right place but do I need to be aware of anything else?

Sweet Willie and tommy777 like this.
  2. phraktur

phraktur Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ninety percent of my monthly trips ORD-LHR are on BA. I always book through the BA website. I have used my AAdvantage number, and the miles have always been correctly and quickly credited to my AA account.

I have yet to find a downside to booking through the BA website. All fare buckets on BA qualify for 100% EQMs on AA (although not for EQPs).

I actually feel that booking through the BA website has a few advantages, including a better ability to "Manage Your Booking." As a AAdvantage Platinum (oneworld Sapphire), you will be able to select your seats at the time of booking without having to pay the normal fee that BA charges to select a seat. Although there is some recent talk about being able to select BA seats through the AA website, I still have not found this to be the case.

Hope this helps even a little bit. Safe travels.

gder27 and Sweet Willie like this.
  3. ukaahopeful

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reassurance. I am finding it harder to book on AA these days!

4. Ninmurai

Ninmurai Active Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if you're aware, but 'non-stop' and 'direct' do NOT mean the same things. A 'direct' flight can still have one or more stops. Make sure you know of any stops when you book them.

flyforawg likes this.
  5. ukaahopeful

Status Points:
    Thanks yes sorry about mixing the terms. I do mean non-stop. I ended up successfully booking on BA for just over £1k each premium economy but trying to get this through AA was coming up £2k plus - each.

Next issue... Having entered my AA number when making my BA booking, my flight doesn't show up on AA when logged in with my AAdvantage number - nor does it on BA when logged in with Exec Club number.

Confused a bit.

6. ukaahopeful

Status Points:
    So... should I check in online or see if we get moved forward up the plane by checking in at the airport..? Thin chance I guess. Myself and my wife traveling.

Booked Premium Economy as AA Plat

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't expect an upgrade unless you used miles/copay, etc. from your BA account.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Wandering Aramean likes this.