AAdvantage or Avios?

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by kellio, Sep 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    The boss is going to India next week and is currently only US flyer.

Which program will benefit her the most ? AA or BA? She would use the miles for U.S. domestic redemption. I'm thinking Avios but I never fly Oneworld either. (In fact I didn't even think they were one of our preferred suppliers)

Booked as AA code share on BA metal, business class.

PHX-x-ORD-x-LHR-MAA/DEL-x-LHR- PHX.

Does anyone have an opinion?

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Avios tend to be better for short hops, but if she ever wants to use them for international AA would be best. If she flies enough for elite status, AA would be beneficial. Once she hits gold on AA she will get upgrade certificates for every 10,000 miles flown. That is not the case with Avios.

IDGflygirl and kellio like this.
  3. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Marc. Very rare for our team to travel internationally- even though we have 300 staff offshore.

I find it unlikely that 1. she would be flying AA in the near future and 2. that she would be traveling internationally anytime in the next few years.

I'm thinking if she signs up for Avios it would be cheaper redemptions on AA or AS.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  4. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    For paid J travel - especially in september go Avios.

1) AA runs on a calendar year for elite status. BA runs on a rolling basis depending on when you sign up
    2) BA's elite status goes by Tier points, rewarding business class travel, especially for multiple hops
    3) BA's elite status gives you access to AA lounges in the US, while AA does not.BA used to allow gold members to use their lounge even when not flying BA, but this has been discontinued. This would have been a very nice benefit for a PHX based US flyer.

To redeem points, BA runs on a distance based award chart and by segment, while AA runs on a region based (similar to US). Assuming your boss has a lot of US miles. i'll focus on where AA might make sense domestically. PHX-LAX is a steal when flying AA and using avios points, 4500 avios points each way, compared to 12.5k on AA.
    Hawaii also makes more sense on Avois vs. AA points - as it will cost less.

IDGflygirl and kellio like this.
  5. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you both for the info. I had a feeling that was the better way for her to go.