AAdvantage Multi Million Miler Awards

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by reneleon, Apr 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I have just reached the 4 million mark at American have been addicted to miles since 1989. My question is we have taken many wonderful trips in Business and First over the last several years, however to books these I need to call 331 days in advance at 12:01 am and still have to fight to get my seats in Business or Coach. Persons like my self are accruing miles rapidly why not make it easier to use our miles? The anytime reward is in my opinion an abuse of our miles we work hard to obtain.

Please reply

2. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    reneleon,

Welcome to MilePoint! I have found that discounted award tickets are best booked either right at the early mark or close to travel time. I agree that (special circumstances not withstanding) anytime rewards are a bit much in terms of miles required. I'm certainly not an AA expert...so I'm sure other members will provide some helpful tips.

3. danny
    Original Member

danny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be glad the anytime reward options even exist as you can use them on last minute seats. I gladly used 50k miles to book a last minute award where the cheapest fares were $800-$900 .

If you need to book that far in advance the routes you're looking at must be extremely sought after. You can't reasonably expect the airlines to have every seat available for award bookings, especially in Business/First as it's some of their highest profit margin products.

deant likes this.
  4. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do you mean discounted award tickets?
    The OP(Original Poster) just wanted to book an award ticket

5. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP (Welcome to MP :)) is actually stating that the AAnytime Award ticket costs too many miles - in essence, he wants more availability for the discounted award (Milesaver Award) tickets on AA...

deant likes this.
  6. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I need to review MileSaver awards as I'm going accumulating miles for now and haven't redeemed.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi reneleon, welcome to MP! :)

While others have already addressed the meat of what you've said, I'm curious to know why you don't use AA.com to book some of those awards? By calling an AAgent you are paying phone booking fees for each person that you could avoid online. It's currently $25 per person, so $50 for a pair. If you are trying to book on one of AA's partner airlines, then calling is unavoidable, but if you are using the miles for American flights only, booking online saves you some cash.

I'd also add that I'm willing to bet you found this website and registered with the intent of leaving this question for Maya Leibman, President of the AAdvantage program based on an email AA sent to you. If that is the case, you have posted your question in the wrong area. You should post your question at this link in order for her to see it.

Hope all is well and that you enjoy the site. Again, welcome to MP!

8. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

As others have said, the business and F seats tend to be the highest profit margin seats. So releasing more of those seats for Saver Awards will lower their profit margins.

My wife and I book our awards at 330 days however in some instances we are willing to pay for the anytime award. For example, getting to the Olympics next summer, we are prepared to get anytime awards because we know the prices to London for C and F will be sky high and there will probably be no saver award availability.