AAdvantage Miles Stolen from my account

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Bill Smith, Sep 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Member

Status Points:
    Earlier this summer I noticed that someone had transferred all my accumulated mileage out of my account without my permission or knowledge. Someone from points.com did it, which I had never heard of. I called customer service to see what happened and to get my points restored. You can see all this if look at my account (REDACTED). I was told someone would investigate it and that I probably would get my points back if what I said was true.

About three weeks ago I called back for a status of your investigation into this matter since I had not heard from you. The lady I talked to said that I would receive a email soon, but the reinstatement of my points was in question. I have been waiting for official notification of your decision.

These are somethings you need to take into account if you have denied my request:

1. In order to access my account someone had to get hold of my password. No one among my family and friends knows this password. It has never been written down. I have only accessed my account from my computer at home and nobody has been around to see me do it. The only other person in the house is my wife and she has no idea how to even get into my mileage account.

2. Some one could have hacked my computer, but they would have gotten other passwords to other accounts also and that has not happened.

3. Someone could have hacked your computer and gotten my password, or one of your employees or contractor could have stolen my password.

I am not responsible for the thief of my password. It is more likely do to negligence or thief on your end.

I do not check on the status of my miles often, since I am saving them for future vacations. I only discovered the thief when we began to plan a vacation to Hawaii for our 45 wedding anniversary next spring. I received no notification of the withdrawal of my miles!

We have been AAdvantage members since (REDACTED). This has never happened before. I am a 65 year old pastor who will be retiring soon who is planning to use the miles for retirement travel. I have been accumulating these miles for years for that purpose and never will be able accumulate that number again. Our retirement travel will not be possible if you do not restore my mileage.

I am not at fault here, AAdvantage is. You allowed someone without my knowledge to come in and steal my mileage. What kind of company would allow this to happen and not take responsibility for it. Does being a loyal AAdvantage member for 21 year mean anything??

This has gone on for months now and no one has contacted me. I expect to hear from someone soon telling me my miles have been restored. If not I will find some high enough up in the corporation that values their customers enough to fix this problem.

(REDACTED)

2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what you hope to accomplish by posting this letter, apparently to the AAdvantage program, here.

However:
    1. You should never publish your personal information and account number in a public place. There's probably enough information in this posting for a clever and immoral person to get into your account. That's not going to help your credibility when claiming no one else could have raided it.
    2. You state that you're a 65 year old pastor named Bill Smith, but your account information indicates you're a female. Probably that was just a mistaken click when you established the account, but when you're trying to prove your identity to someone that kind of mistake doesn't help.
    3. The sentence " I am not responsible for the thief of my password. It is more likely do to negligence or thief on your end." does not appear calculated to instill in the recipient of the letter the impression that you are a native English speaker, rather than a scammer who is not accustomed to writing in English.
    If you haven't already sent the letter, I would strongly recommend that you take a few minutes to review it and write a calmer, more professional version.

IDGflygirl, anabolism, JonNYC and 6 others like this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:

Welcome to MP Bill Smith.

I've taken the liberty of removing all of the personal information you've posted in your message since, as LarryInNYC points out, any clever individual with 5 minutes of spare time could use your name, phone number,and AAdvantage account number to access your information.

I'll also second his assertion that your decision to post your personal information in a public setting doesnt exactly give you much credibility when you claim that you have safe guarded your account information and there is no possibility another person had access to it. Perhaps you never wrote down your password or shared it with another individual, but someone doesn't actually need your password to get into your account, they just need a few key pieces of personal information. Just like the ones you publicly posted in this message. ;)

Please note that this is a public forum that is not sponsored by American Airlines. The individuals who read the forum are, for the most part, individuals travelers who have an interest in AA's frequent flyer program. While AA does have representatives that read this forum, it's important to note that you would be better served in this issue by continuing to contacting AA directly. I think the advice above to write a shorter, clearer message is something you should consider. Have you considered contacting Points.com to address this as well?

Hopefully, if you manage to get your miles reinstated, you can come back to the website and we can help you spend those miles on your anniversary flights in the most efficient and pleasant way possible.

Best of luck and remember to keep your personal data... personal. :)

pcarol, IDGflygirl, anabolism and 6 others like this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never mind that this can all be done without your password if the person calls in via telephone and verifies personal information unless you've also set up password protection for your PNR's as well.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

deant and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint, Bill.

Did you contact points.com? Were you or they able to track down where the miles went? Have you used points.com in the past? Have you used any password manager or account aggregators?

How many points are we talking about?

6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agree that you should immediately contact Points.com. It sounds like they are the ones that can track where the miles went.

7. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    This feels very similar to the "I am the barrister for Mobotu Seseseko" emails. I wouldn't take it seriously until we get a second post from this guy that sounds just a bit more legitimate.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I do it all the time.

9. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So is it Carol or Bill?

I agree - what's the point? This scammer is hoping we'll all post about holes in AA's system (which I guess Mike Reed did, actually - might want to edit that).

Certainly, nothing positive will ensue here.

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I suspect Bill and Carol are the couple in question. While it might be possible this is an information trolling post by a scammer, my gut tells me this is just a frustrated individual who is perhaps unfamiliar with technology (based on the posting of personal information in a public forum and by misunderstanding what both Flyertalk and Milepoint actually are) and is attempting to be heard by AA.

Mike Reed's post is, IMHO, information that any spammer would already know, and it's certainly information any individual with Google could figure out in 2 minutes.

While I'm happy to be wrong on this, I suspect this will be the first and last we hear from Bill & Carol Smith.

pcarol, IDGflygirl, anabolism and 3 others like this.
  11. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have it 100%, to-the-letter correct. The person(s) in question are real, the situation is real, but they are bizzarely (by our standards-- not judging) naive, green and unfamiliar with technology/internet/etc.

12. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for removing my personal info. I have never posted anything before and did not think of it.

I did contact points.com. they told me to contact AA. No help. No accountability

13. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK - so you do realize that this is an independent forum, and not American Airlines, yes?

pcarol, IDGflygirl and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you should get someone to check all your email (spam filter, etc) and help you find AA's reply to you.

You will handle this with AAdvantage, they will help you, but you probably need someone to help you on your end with your email, etc.

anabolism and LETTERBOY like this.
  15. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Member

Status Points:
    I thought AA might look at this form and I wondered if someone else had the same problem

If it is a problem I will take down my post if I can

16. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't and don't speak for the forum-- but I don't see any need for you to take it down, personally.

As far as the problem at hand, you need to find AA's reply to you, they know of your case and are waiting to hear from you.

pcarol, IDGflygirl, anabolism and 4 others like this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There's an AA rep here on this forum, but there's no guarantee that your message will be noticed (though, if they look at the new threads, your thread title probably will attract some attention).

Good advice. You seem to know more about the case than I can read out of this thread.

pcarol, IDGflygirl and anabolism like this.
  18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The AA rep will see this, but only in the AM since it's past working hours in DFW.

I'm willing to bet cash that JonNYC knows more than is outlined in this thread. :)

19. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can I have the OVER on that bet? :D

SPECULATION:

If you just wanted to steal miles you wouldn't use points.com unless it were part of a larger scam since there is nothing free about points.com. It might be a good place to try and launder points and broker them across programs, but you'd probably have to use (stolen) credit cards to do it fast enough to not get caught, and transfer the points (or sell them) somewhere other than an airline, since you're going to need ID at some point to fly, be on security cameras, etc. Otherwise you'd have to "sell" flights or upgrades to others using the points so you wouldn't be directly involved. Something one step off from actual use.

In other words, I'm betting this is part of a larger event, which is why AA is aware already.

Just speculation... but based on knowledge of several other e-commerce related scams. Glad to hear AA's on it, though. That's a customer-friendly answer/approach.

deant likes this.
  20. JNB280

JNB280 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In other news, the sun rose today.

Sagy likes this.
  21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And yet some still don't know that. ;)

22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It was pretty foggy here this morning. Blame the marine layer that's often messing with SFO arrivals.

loudnotes likes this.
  23. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Methinks this is totally a scammer post. Here are a few data points to consider:

+What "Bill Smith" do you know of who doesn't speak English at a native level? Even for a old "retiring pastor."
    "These are somethings you need to take into account..."
    "It is more likely do to negligence or thief on your end..."
    "...for our 45 wedding anniversary..." etc.

+New member status; lists his profile as Female

+The fact that they are, in JonNYC's opinion, "bizzarely naive."

+"Bill Smith" is "...[wondering] if someone else had the same problem." Let's play this out. Hmmm, I've had the same problem, Bill. Why don't you now ask me for the details and then of course I'll go ahead and send you the specifics.

IMHO, this appears to be an amateur scammer who is trying to get some free miles out of AA playing the sympathy card as an old, retiring pastor. The scenario is too much...

LETTERBOY and schnitzel like this.
  24. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious why AA? (My beef would be with points.com first, if told to contact AA, that would not be acceptable as the theft involved points.com and I would expect full details from points.com as to who/what/when/where etc as I did not authorize)

IDGflygirl likes this.
  25. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    jasher926 -

While I agree with you on most of those points, especially the level of English in the post, I will now contradict my earlier assertions by simply saying: I've never seen JonNYC to be wrong. His reputation is pretty solid on all matters AA. So if he says it's legit, I now believe it.