AAdvantage MC issued by Barclaycard

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by MX, Apr 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    The most recent promo email from Barclays gave me a bit of a surprise. Will there be a period when both banks will offer competing co-branded products?

USAA.png

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    foxberg and Newscience like this.
  2. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    But that AA card will be short-lived as previously discussed in the blogosphere.

LETTERBOY, Newscience and MX like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very interesting - and it's difficult to imagine that both Barclays and CitiBank will both issue credit cards for the "new American Airlines".

MX likes this.
  4. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope they'll stick with Citi.

Newscience and MX like this.
  5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once the Dividend Miles program is merged into Aadvantage, Barclay will switch their US card into an AA card, and will stop taking applications for it. Citi will be the only bank issuing AA cards. This has been known for some time now, it's not new.

MX, Newscience and foxberg like this.
  6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    But note the last paragraph of the email above. The language there is different from your explanation, which I had believed myself prior to this.

7. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Barclays will have the agreement with AAdvantage until 2015 at least, at which point it's not for certain whether the card partnership will continue to remain.

MX likes this.
  8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    The last paragraph is the same thing I said. That just means that your US Mastercard from Barclays will become an AA Mastercard from Barclays. Barclays will not be accepting new applications for any new AA cards. No, the banks will not be competing with each other once the programs merge. There is nothing in the e-mail that contradicts what was announced months ago.

MX likes this.
  9. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. The banks will not be competing. Citi has too much in with AA and Barclay's in w/ US has long since been nullified after the last bankruptcy. Citi wins. Sign up for the US card for the bonus or the PQM's only...you'll eventually end up with some other Barclays card.

LETTERBOY and MX like this.