AAdvantage eshopping mileage credit problem

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by KenInEscazu, Sep 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I made a pretty large computer purchase (multiple Macs for my business) in May, and naturally I shopped for the best price and mileage bonus combo. The winning supplier was on American's eshopping network, thus that's where the purchase was made.

Within an hour of buying the items online, I received a phone call from the supplier to tell me that one of the computers was out of stock in the configuration I ordered. They offered me a generous RAM upgrade for a bargain price, so I verified that I would still get the miles and took the offer.

The mileage showed up after about 5 weeks, and did not include mileage credit for the extra money I paid for the upgrade. $220 = 660 miles. I would like to have had the miles, but wasn't going to put up a stink, as the price was enough value to make me happy. A couple of weeks later, however, the miles were removed from my account, being marked as a "return."

I called the vendor, and the runaround began. It was beyond apathy. I truly believe that they intentionally phoned me with false inventory status info simply to get me to change my order number from one that identified AA miles credit to one that paid commission to one of their aggressive (obnoxious) reps. They said that they could not help me, and that I should take it up with AA eshopping.

I wrote to AA eshopping in July after failing to get anywhere with the retailer. They never even replied. I wrote again this week, but my confidence is now non-existent. This is a five figure transaction that appears to be headed in the direction of hopeless. I have proof of both sales happening on the same day, with one simple change in only one of the items purchased.

I can't find any way to call AA eshopping. Their only contact info is an online form. Anyone else here ever have an issue like this that they were able to successfully resolve? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear about your drama with AA e-shopping. You're not the first person to indicate that communicating about mileage issues can be difficult. From what I understand there's typically three parties: AA, the vendor, and a middle man. It's not really clear who is responsible for what at each stage in the process, at least from what I've heard and read. E-shopping is one of the few AA mileage opportunities I don't take advantage of.

Maybe the AA rep, AmericanAirlines, can look into this for you?

Either way, I hope it works out for you or that someone can give you some information to help!

garyst16 likes this.
  3. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I WOULD NOT GIVE UP -- If it was me:
    I would call A.A. ask for the chairman's /presidents office and explain
    I would also send a letter to corporate A.A. addressed to the presidents office
    I would keep e-mailing the site you bought from untill they satisfy you , you just use same letter sent to A.A.
    I would also go to A.A. SOCIAL SITES AND POST
    Last as silly as this sounds send the same letter to B.B.B your rep in Washington
    maybe one of them will do something to help you

be sure to list c.c of all sending to and mention the miles you did not receive i assume it must be around 50k

maybe overkill but that is what you need and if no results at least you will know you did everything you could

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I've had this issue before with some online sites. Once they sent the wrong item, assuming I'd like it better, and then I spent two hours of my time arranging for a return and refund.

My general solution when online retailers don't have the item I ordered is to cancel the order and place a new one for something that is available. Changes like this can only muck up the paperwork trail. But being in the mess already, I guess the best I can offer is that you follow stan's recommendation. Best of luck!

Just out of curiosity, you must have earned more than 660 miles on this purchase if it was multiple computers. That 660 is only for the RAM, correct? Was it the 660 miles that disappeared or all of the miles?

5. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many on line retailers have a brick and morter store to return things to. Not all of them allow this, so check first. Costco does and you can take back Lands End items to Sears.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    He was told he would receive the 660 miles for the upgrade he received. He never received it but decided not to complain about it because it wasn't a big deal. After a few weeks AA removed the other chunk of miles from his account. Considering that, I can certainly see why he's upset!

Scottrick likes this.
  7. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Clever sacrasm.

But, at a minimum, whether there are 66, 660, 6600, or 66,000 miles at stake, the OP offers helpful information and should not be mocked.

I right much suspect that the change to the order, which was done by phone, not only did not get "captured" by whatever third party administers the eshopping mall, but somehow removed if from the eshopping mall coverage. And I have not reviewed the pertinent terms and conditions, but I will bet a decent lunch that there is some language deeply imbedded therein which makes this appropriate. IAAL, so if the T's & C's do not already provide, I'll happily bill a few hours drafting language for them.

My advice to the OP is that he cannot fight city hall. I'd give him 660 miles, saving him 5 hours of effort in getting them (or failing to do so). In return, I'd request only one hour of help cleaning out my basement. As for the greater loss, this really sucks. If OP has success getting them reinstated, I think it would be very helpful to hear of what procedure he followed.

But OP's experience provides helpful information relating to what we should expect of "mileage malls".

jwsky likes this.
  8. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    To clarify any doubts, the 660 miles would have been the result of the additional RAM purchase. ALL miles were removed as having been a "return." Nothing was returned. If there has been any sarcasm directed toward me, I missed it. I don't feel like I've been mocked.

While I'll not let this offense consume me, I'm finding it difficult to just forget about it. This is particularly true because I believe that there was malice in the intent of the person who upsold me. When I busted him, the company (computer vendor) failed to back me up. Since I confirmed at the time of the phone call that the upgrade would not cause me to lose my mileage credit, I believe that I was intentionally deceived and made a purchase under what turned out to be totally misleading circumstances.

Since AA eshopping can only be contacted through their website, and they do not offer a copy of the correspondence, there is no way to document the correspondence that has taken place to date. I'm considering a certified letter to both AA and the seller while I'm in the USA next week. If that fails to get results, then I'll have to evaluate my options further.

I doubt that I'm the first person to have this problem with this seller. Their response seemed too methodical and scripted. To let it go might be contributing to their ability to continue this practice. I wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to help others avoid being taken aadvantage of (pun intended).

Hopefully we'll soon see a post here that will have the solution with easy-to-follow instructions. If not, I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks to all for the input.

Pura Vida

9. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gosh, I hope you did not interpret my commentary as mocking.

Rather, you have identified how easily a purchase might end up disqualified from eligibility. And it is awful that taking an offline upsell may have been the trigger. Based on the allegations before me, I do not infer malice. Rather, my best guess is that any offline change (one which could not be "captured" by the third party involved in eshopping) innocuosly triggered the events which followed.

OP, you apparently have a business. And if you are good at it, my kindest suggestion is that you invest your time in the business, not in chasing down miles which may have been "robbed" from you. Of course, I do not know howmany miles you are talking about, but I foresee you investing efforts which would be better investeed in your business - I presume the business is what you do best.

I'll be pleased for you if I am wrong. And if you can fix this more easily than I predict, the forum would likely appreciate your report on how you got it done

newbluesea likes this.
  10. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your advice this time was said in a nicer way . I know attorneys have a hard time saying things in a soft way as I am married to one, my two sons and a daughter are all attorneys plus two have married attorneys( holidays at home are such fun! lol) . I am in business and the time I spend in my business will produce more for me than I could ever earn reading the threads --BUT -- life is not only about money --you could be billing instead of reading, writing ,watching this site , OP wants justice (by getting the miles he earned )

11. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA sent a request for my AAdvantage number yesterday as a result of this post. I'll post any results from their inquiry should they occur.

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Great that they reached out, hopefully this gets resolved. That's a lot of miles to have snatched out of your palms!

13. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today's emails (one through MilePoint and one to my personal email addy) claim that I'll have credit for the miles within two weeks. The verbiage appears to be dependent upon the merchant following through with crediting the miles to my account. I'm feeling pretty good about the prospects at this point, but will post again to confirm that the miles are in the bank.

The greatest thanks go to MilePoint and my fellow members here. While I do credit AA with finally having helped with an apparent solution, one can't help but wonder how much value was provided me by the exposure provided in this forum.

Again... Not taking credit away from AA for resolving it. It feels like Christmas around here tonight. I really thought those miles were unlikely to ever see my Aadvantage account balance.

Woo Hoo!

jfhscott likes this.
  14. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well justice is fine and all that but surely theres a limit to what one would want to invest to claim 50c worth of AA miles?
    All of us at some time have gotten AA miles inadvertantly posted to our account whether by error or from some promo posted on these boards which we have regisitered but not technically elligble for.
    It pretty evident to all that the aa shopping site does not handle and non standard transactions well.
    Use say a customer discount sent to by Office Depot while shopping there miles will post and then deducted from your account. Want to chase them them down? ..go for it

But IMHO things like this equal out in the wash.

15. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I'm impressed. I truly anticipated that you (1) were wasting your time completely or (2) would end up spending far more time than it would be worth to track down the miles.

Happily, your concern got picked up on this board, and that was enough to get some results. I suspect that there are many, many, mileage mall type transactions which get innocently derailed (here, I suspect that some aspect of your offline change forced someone to recode your purchase such that the third party Aadvantage uses to capture purchases got cut out. These third parties are terribly faceless, and I would have no idea how to contact them or how to take up a missing mileage request with them.

I think the best takeaway here is to keep mileage mall transactions terribly simple and straightforward - there are too many ways to derail them.

16. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today I received mileage credit from the retailer referenced in this thread. My hat is off to AA for monitoring these pages and responding promptly to resolve an issue that had further depreciated my opinion of their airline. I must say that I am impressed with the follow-through and end result.

Hey AA - Well done!

traveler and DestinationDavid like this.
  17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Great news, glad it worked out!