AAdvantage--does lifetime gold + 25k = platinum

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by ajiki, Apr 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ajiki

ajiki New Member

Status Points:
    Hit 1 million miles with AA last year. Now I have Lifetime Gold and will hit 25k miles in a few weeks. Once I hit 25k will that add to my Lifetime Gold and equal Platinum for 2013?

Have searched the forums, and cannot find this discussion. Would like opinions before I call AA.

jbcarioca and tondoleo like this.
  2. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    i'm fairly certain that's not how it works.

jbcarioca, JohnDeere19 and tondoleo like this.
  3. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am going to be the bearer of bad news. Do not bother calling AA. In order to achieve Platinum status you need 50,000 eqm or eqp or 60 segments. The fact you have LT Gold is just that you have LT Gold. Congrats on that accomplishment.

jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope, you'll still be gold. Need 50k EQM/EQP or 60 segments as tondoleo says. Similarly, LT platinum does not give you a boost towards Executive Platinum. You have plenty of time for a few MRs to 50k if you need ;)

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    The one "left field" opinion: anyone can get Platinum status for 25K miles if they use the DEQM promos. :)

6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    True enough
    Just a case in point. I had 7.6 million miles, thus lifetime Platinum, when i stopped flying AA for 1 1/2 years. I dropped to Lifetime Platinum from EXP which i had been since it was invented, and TOP (an unpublished tier long ago) before that. Late last year I began flying AA again, shamed into doing so by Maya Liebman at the OWMD launch party. Recently I passed 8 million miles, and received Platinum 8mm mile luggage tags, because I'm still not EXP again. I probably will be around June or so.

Short answer, as everyone has said. Lifetime status has zero impact on earning higher levels. You start from zero every year, but your default will be Gold now instead of general member. And don't forget the eVIP's, 8 at the first million, IIRC, and 4 ever after plus new million miler bag tags for each additional million miles. That and bragging rights, not worth much here.:confused:

tondoleo and Jimgotkp like this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    First 1MM is 35K AAdvantage miles with an option to trade them in for 8 500-mile stickers. Each subsequent MM bestows 4 SWUs.

If the first MM was SWUs I'd be much more excited about crossing the threshold in the next year or two. :D

tondoleo and jbcarioca like this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I always thought it was 8 SWU's the first time. My first million was long ago.

tondoleo likes this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The old program gave accounts with domestic addresses 500-miles stickers, but gave SWUs to foreign addresses. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    They gave me SWUs at a million miles. Then sent a letter saying it was a mistake. Fortunately the last paragraph of the letter said they would let me keep them. ^^

tondoleo, jbcarioca and wrxmom like this.
  11. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    as everyone has stated you will only still be gold. I would recommend doing everything you can to get to platinum as gold is almost worthless on American. There are so many platinum and exec platinum members that the chances of being upgraded are slim to none at best. You will get extra miles on your flights, but they do not count towards status or lifetime miles.

tondoleo, jbcarioca and sobore like this.
  12. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As long as you live in CA,TX or IL. (For the DEQ11 promo). Not sure about the dfw-bos one though. Plus travel has to be done by June 30.

tondoleo, jbcarioca and sobore like this.
  13. ajiki

ajiki New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. I appreciate the help. It was wishful thinking on my part, and I could not find any previous discussion.

tondoleo and jbcarioca like this.
  14. tater54

tater54 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I did the platinum challenge and need 900 miles (by the end of May) to meet the criteria. 2 questions for you experts out there:

1) Is it worth buying a random flight to make sure I get to Platinum?
    2) Is there a good site to find the cheapest flight out of DFW? I don't care where I go, just need the miles and something cheap!

THANKS

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's hoping you did your math right. The challenge is not based on miles, it's based on points. If you're buying deep-discount fares (the "something cheap" you asked for) you're only getting half a point per mile. So, do you need 900 miles, 900 points, or something else because your math was wrong?

You paid for a Platinum challenge, are supposedly within 900 points of completion, and you don't know if it's worth it? Why did you do the challenge and pay the fee if you weren't sure if completing was worth it?

[/quote]

aa.com. Seriously. Check out the NetSAAver fares for the next week, weekend, etc.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. tater54

tater54 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I need 900 miles by the end of May. Thank you for your help...

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. tater54

tater54 New Member

Status Points:
    aa.com. Seriously. Check out the NetSAAver fares for the next week, weekend, etc.[/quote]

I was invited to the challenge, I didn't have to pay a fee. That is why I was wondering if purchasing a $300 or $400 ticket was worth obtaining platinum status (I'm currently Gold)

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should be easy, especially since you're already gold. Minimum mileage is 500 miles, so a round trip to Tyler would suffice. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. tater54

tater54 New Member

Status Points:
    But is there a website that can determine what the cheapest flight would be? All the websites I have found, you have to enter a destination city. Problem is, I don't care where I am going, just want cheapest flight possible.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are any number fo ways to go about this but the easiest one is on AA.com. Once you sign in:
    The third drop down menu category you se is "Travel Deals"
    aa.com master page.png
    Once you click on that menu you'll see this:
    travel deals.png

Then click on "Fare Sales" and you'll see this:

travel deals 2.png
    You'll see an array of cheap last minute fares, among which you'll probably find some obscure choice that will get you the miles you need, probably more, at a fairly cheap price. You can certainly find even cheaper options, but this will require little work and will have cheap choices.

Mike Reed likes this.
  21. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this. While I mentioned this, apparently OP didn't believe me. I'm glad you took the time to place screenshots.

It's hard to understand why people don't think an airline itself, on its own webpage, wouldn't post deals, sales, etc. And aa.com even allows you to select your starting point for NetSAAvers, etc.

:sigh:

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only you can determine if its "worth it" or not. But a "cheap" flight from DFW shouldn't be all that hard assuming you book early enough.

jbcarioca likes this.