Aadvantage dining suddenly getting more interesting?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jfhscott, May 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aadvantage dining has been pretty dead (to me) for a year or so, but suddenly it has caught fire. First, they offer 300 bonus miles per $30 charged. And just now, I got a notification/promotion for which I promptly registered offering triple miles at certain local (DC) area restaurants. And not bad ones, rather, higher end joints like the Caucus Room, the Occidental, Kaz (that seared salmon belly sushi is so luscious) and others. Assuming I can stack, this comes to 750 miles per $30 spent. What gives?

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you a VIP? I know they send out special offers to VIPs every now and then, or it could just be the restaurants offering additional perks to drum up business.

3. wolfsatz
    Original Member

wolfsatz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I haven't seen that targeted offer here in Las Vegas yet. I'm VIP and I'm currently on a tear to maximize the 30th Anniversary Rewards. There is a great Greek restaurant on the way home from work, I've been ordering take out there about every other night for my fiance and I. The bill usually only comes to about $25, so I tack on a $10 gift card to meet the $30 minimum. Racking up the AA miles this month. :)

viguera likes this.
  4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI, it looks like its $30 cumulative spend not spend per dine unless I'm misreading the T&Cs.

EDIT: This bonus offer is open to all Online and VIP members of the AAdvantage DiningSM program. To qualify, you must register for the "30 Days of Dining Bonus" by entering a valid AAdvantage number and clicking "Get Deal" for this offer, and following the instructions on the AAdvantage Dining website. After doing so, you must spend at least $30 (including tax and tip) in any combination of dines at participating restaurants, bars or clubs between May 18, 2011, and June 16, 2011. You will earn 300 American Airlines AAdvantage® miles for every $30 you spend. In addition, all dines must occur during a valid reward period and be paid for with a credit or debit card registered in the AAdvantage DiningSMprogram. For the full Bonus Terms and Conditions, click here. Other limitations may apply.

5. wolfsatz
    Original Member

wolfsatz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm, not sure.

After doing so, you must spend at least $30 (including tax and tip) in any combination of dines at participating restaurants, bars or clubs

The "spend at least" part would seem to indicate you needed to spend $30 in a visit but the "any combination of dines" would indicate that's not the case.

6. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the 3x offer too for SF restaurants. Decent deal and I shall take "AAdvantage!"

7. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Grrrr .... I got a 2x offer for Miami restaurants - but that's the problem, they're all in central Miami-Dade County, an area far from my home and an area that I avoid going to unless I absolutely have to. Nothing in Broward County, where I live (and where there are plenty of RN/iDine restaurants). :mad:

8. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am VIP.

9. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The American Airlines rep confirmed in the other forum that it's cumulative - but there's no reason not to get gift cards now at the inflated mileage rate.

RV03, JohnDeere19 and viguera like this.
  10. RV03

RV03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Grrr....I got no offer for Richmond restaurants, but it is alot smaller than DC, SF and Miami

11. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No offer in LA, but they did recently add a good pizza place . . .

12. tarheelblue
    Original Member

tarheelblue Silver Member

Status Points:
    I highly recommend heading out to Virginia and trying Bazin's on Church in Vienna.

13. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know!

14. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Must not enjoy the other great food deal in Vegas. Doubt I could eat the same ethnic food every other night.........

15. wolfsatz
    Original Member

wolfsatz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I'm a creature of habit and can usually eat the same thing every other day. My fiance, not so much. The takeout options for us are limited as she's a vegan. Most of the AAdvantage Dining choices in our area are bar and grill type places.

16. lwildernorva

lwildernorva Active Member

Status Points:
    Hate to throw cold water on this thread, but from the T&Cs for the 30 Days of Dining: "Offer is not combinable with other AAdvantage DiningSM bonuses." I haven't received one of the targeted emails so I don't know if similar language is included in these targeted offers.

17. jd623

jd623 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 3x promo says it can be combined with other promos. So not sure what will actually post.

"To earn triple American Airlines AAdvantage® miles, you must dine at a participating restaurant listed in this email on any Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday between May 30 and June 30, 2011. Please note that activity that occurred prior to registration will not be eligible for this bonus. Dines occurring at a restaurant, bar or club not listed in this email do not qualify to earn this bonus. In addition, all dines must occur during a valid reward period and be paid for with a credit or debit card registered in the AAdvantage DiningSM program. Offer is combinable with other AAdvantage DiningSM bonuses. Please allow 4-6 weeks after your qualifying dine for any AAdvantage ® bonus miles to post to your AAdvantage® account. All account inquiries related to this bonus must be received by July 30, 2011."

18. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am VIP and got one for Chicago offering double miles at several places. It says they are only good Mon-Wed from May 30th - June 30th. It's called the Double Feature bonus. All of the places are in the city though and I don't get downtown very often, so I doubt I will make this bonus.

19. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, I will be in the Boston area about two weeks of that time. I wish they would make it national and not just local considering people earning airline miles probably travel often . . .

20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I agree that it should be more accessible nationally, but I think you'd be surprised how many airlines miles are given out to people who don't travel that often.

Lyssa likes this.
  21. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oddly, the fine print in my offer permits me to dina any day of the week:

To earn triple American Airlines AAdvantage® miles, you must dine at a participating restaurant listed in this email any day between May 30 and June 30, 2011. Please note that activity that occurred prior to registration will not be eligible for this bonus. Dines occurring at a restaurant, bar or club not listed in this email do not qualify to earn this bonus. In addition, all dines must occur during a valid reward period and be paid for with a credit or debit card registered in the AAdvantage DiningSM program. Offer is combinable with other AAdvantage DiningSM bonuses.

There seems to be some targeting of sorts going on . . .

22. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had fallen asleep at the switch on Aadvantage Dining and am very disappointed with myself.

My card numbers change more often than I'd like. Issuing banks send me new ones, presumably I've been in some of those large data thefts that we hear of on the news, and that seems to require an update with AD. (Thankfully, I've had no erroneous card activity.)

A number of places that I frequent are on the list. At 3 points per dollar, I've probably missed 30,000 miles over the last three years. Argh.

In any event, every card in my wallet is now re-signed up. I've already gotten credit for a few recent dines (including one I didn't even realize was in the program). The 10x bonus doesn't post for a few weeks, but that will be probably >5,000 miles for me, too, when it posts.

A combination of AD, being an Open Table restaurant and a good Zagat review helped me pick someplace new for dinner tonight!

23. RV03

RV03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My 300 pt bonuses have been posting on the same day as my dines - I do complete the review of the restaurant as soon as the dine appears on the website.

24. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I think all my miles associated with the two promotions have posted, and I scored about 80,000 miles in toto.

I bought $1000 (monthly max) in gift cards/"gift coins" to three participating restaurants, and dined nicely at two others. Now that they have posted, I am frankly kicking myself for not doing more!

But my lessons learned are that these were stackable (one of the promotions said it could not be combined with other promotions). And given the amounts involved, I was quite diligent to "review" the restaurants. One of the promotions required that one "review" on the Rewards Network site.

Now to burn all of those gift cards . . . .

25. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm, I don't think I've seen any 300 mile bonuses post yet...will check to see.