AAdvantage Citi Visa Perks

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by SteveCMI, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SteveCMI

SteveCMI Active Member

Status Points:
    Does the Citi Visa have a first checked bag fee waiver benefit?

2. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think it does. If you have status or are travelling internationally, you don't pay bag fees.

gemac likes this.
  3. ORDflyer
    Original Member

ORDflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the "perks" that made me cancel was the 29.9% interest that they wanted to charge despite me over 800 credit scores.

Omar's_Coming likes this.
  4. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not even double miles on AA purchases. It's a perkless card.

5. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Citi card is not a good card to use to borrow money. It does work fine if you pay the balance in full every month. It has the ability to pay the full balance directly from your checking account automatically on the last day for payment. This ensures it gets paid even if you are off in Timbuktu somewhere, and you get the advantage of the float for as long as possible (I know that the float isn't that big an advantage right now, but hopefully interest rates won't be this low forever). It does pay in AA miles, and if you are trying to get more, that is a major perk, IMO.

6. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never carry a balance so I never even bother looking at interest rates on the cards I apply for

schnitzel likes this.
  7. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah - if you're carrying a balance, I'm pretty sure that NO rewards card is good for you. No reward can outweigh the higher interest rate. If you're paying interest, find the best deal, and consider the lower interest to be your reward.

gemac and HoKo like this.
  8. JohnnieD
    Original Member

JohnnieD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I couldnt agree more! When I churn CC's, I don't even look at the interest rate because I never carry a balance, always pay off balance due each month!

9. SteveCMI

SteveCMI Active Member

Status Points:
    I concur on treating all credit cards as charge cards, pay balance due by due date every month. I use the AA Citi card for coin flips. What I really miss is churning Amex Plat $10k traveler's checks.

10. ORDflyer
    Original Member

ORDflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I concur that it is best never to pay a dime of interest on any credit card, the replies here are a bit smug. There can be times in one's life when extraordinary expenses occur or jobs are lost and having lower rate cards can be helpful.

AmericanGirl and TuesdayMass like this.
  11. cptnkirk77
    Original Member

cptnkirk77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I view all of these cards that have incredible first time mileage offers as one time payoffs and that's it. Then it sits in my drawer until the year is up and is promptly cancelled. There's other cards much more suited for day to day purchases than the Citi cards.

12. FLYERIL
    Original Member

FLYERIL Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can keep an "emergency card" but a miles card should not be used as an "emergency card."

cockpitvisit, gemac and schnitzel like this.
  13. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah - I can't imagine needing one, but I do have an emergency card. No perks, no nothing, but always around, just in case. And free to keep around.

But I totally agree, as I said before. A rewards card is basically NEVER a good deal if you run a balance on it. The high interest totally eviscerates the reward.

14. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you can get one, a homeowner line of credit is usually better than a credit card for emergencies. But everybody should have something for emergencies. Nest egg is better than borrowing ability, but borrowing ability is better than running around naked.

15. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my case, that's exactly what I have - a HELOC, with a Visa attached to it. Never used it, but I could and basically be paying interest rates similar to a home equity loan.

gemac likes this.
  16. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I have several high limit credit union cards for emergencies. One of them have no FOREX fees and I use that one for overseas charging. A couple CU cards of mine pay 5% cash back for gas & the one with no FOREX fees gives me 5 pts/$ buying airline tickets. (if used for buying more airline tickets, it is like getting almost 8% back on my $ spent on airline tickets :))

I have one more CU card that I keep around for history as it is my oldest account. I charge on that once in a while.

17. SteveCMI

SteveCMI Active Member

Status Points:
    I certainly don't mean to be smug, I am only speaking from personal experience and the way I churn mile or point earning cards. If I were to carry a balance, I would choose to use a card with the lowest interest/fees. However, I agree with snitzel in that the award cards typically are going to carry the highest user fees.

18. JohnnieD
    Original Member

JohnnieD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also did not in any way try to be smug. Just speaking from my own experience churning CC's.

19. jumpdogjump
    Original Member

jumpdogjump Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not the original question, but it seems the only perks left are the reduced mileage awards and the accumulation of 1 mile per dollar spent, helpful for achieving an award ticket or lifetime status.

swag likes this.
  20. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    Citi's cards also offer the ability to buy tickets for many concerts via Ticketmaster during the presale period. That's not specific to the AA card, but I still find it a nice benefit on occasion.

21. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Technically speaking, you just need the first six digits to get through the Ticketmaster nonsense. Anyone can use the same six digits.

When it comes time to pay, use whatever card you want.