AAdvantage Citi card bonus opportunities?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by TrueBlueFlyer, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hope its the right place for this...

Would people please share bonus mileage earning opportunities for the AAdvantage Citi card holders?

I already use my AAdvantage MasterCard for various bills like wireless, cable as well as dining, etc.

What else would you recommend?

2. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anything that gets paid every month is worth checking out to see if it can be paid with the credit card. Be careful, though. Some entities tack an extra charge on if you pay with credit card, to cover the fees that credit cards charge. One example is this: you can pay your income taxes with the credit card, but there is a charge to do so.

Mostly, I use mine for almost everything, instead of cash. Even small purchases, a few dollars each, can add up.

3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing I wouldn't recommend is using that card outside the U.S. due to the 3% surcharge. I have a different Citi card (don't need miles) and only use it in the U.S., preferring a non-Citi card with a 0% surcharge when I leave the country.

gemac likes this.
  4. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Such as the AA shopping mall or are you thinking of credit card bonus spend (i.e., I was offered 20% for 3 months instead of canceling for a rate of 1.2/$1)?

5. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was offered that but wasn't trying to cAAncel. I think it is just a regular promo.

6. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I like best about my CitiAdvantage card is being able to use the reduced mileage awards. I've had very good luck at getting what I need pretty close to my flight dates.

7. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    is that the 17,500 round trip award booking for domestic/canada flights?
    I haven't had the need for such but find that 20k off-peak Euro trips are perfect considering that other domestic airlines charge significantly more mileage wise for same route awards.

8. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes 17.5K domestic flights I've used several times (you can even get FC tix at a discount). It's been a couple of years since they had the reduced awards to Europe and the Caribbean though. I was able to take AAdvantage of them a couple of times[​IMG]

9. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last week I rec'd an offer (via email) for 20% more aadvantage miles for every dollar spent until 4/30/11. It specified my card # and included an invitation number to register.

10. Vik Murthy
    Original Member

Vik Murthy Silver Member

Status Points:
    msv,
    What are the mechanics for capitalizing on those awards? Is it something you do online via Citi or on the AA website or something else entirely?

Thanks!

11. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    They offer reduced mileage awards every quarter see link. I had to call for the ones I've used and I think there was a $10 fee for it but still quite a bargain!

Vik Murthy likes this.
  12. Vik Murthy
    Original Member

Vik Murthy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you very much!

13. cashconnect

cashconnect Active Member

Status Points:
    Would people please share bonus mileage earning opportunities for the AAdvantage Citi card holders

AA is offering up to 15,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles when you purchase miles for a loved one. This is available through 2/28/11 online at the AA website.

14. The Traveller
    Original Member

The Traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember reading somewhere about a cardholder who called to cancel but was offered 1.5 miles per dollar to stay. Has anyone on here ever recieved that offer?

15. Bobofoosh
    Original Member

Bobofoosh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check your email too. I got the offer via postcard and email and signed up for both. The offer numbers were different so I should be getting 1.4 miles per dollar spent.

16. _kurt
    Original Member

_kurt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel like I'm more likely to get bonus offers (e.g. 20% more miles per dollar) when I've recently changed my spending habits on a card. For example, I moved most of my spending from Citi AAdvantage to SPG and a few months later I got a Citi offer for 1.5 miles / dollar. It could be a coincidence, though.

17. buschoi
    Original Member

buschoi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Make sure you sign up for the AA Reward Networks and earn AA miles when you dine at the participating restaurants. The miles do add up fast.

18. 2muchentropy
    Original Member

2muchentropy Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is one of the many retention offers out there.

I recommend that no matter what you should call Citi at some point and say "I'm thinking of canceling my card, is there anything you can do for me..." or something similar.

Just don't say "I'm canceling!" That way, you'll have an out if you need to just end the call and say "I was just thinking about it...I'll get back to you..."

If you've used your card they will usually give you some kind of decent retention offer--I just got one for 750 bonus miles every month that I make 15 transactions (any size, so I could get 750 miles for spending $10 to $15) for the next 16 months, plus they wiped out the annual fee. This works for me as I focus my spending on my SPG Amex anyway...

Kerplode and Scott like this.
  19. Scott
    Original Member

Scott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have called, as 2muchentropy suggests and received an offer for 10,000 bonus AA miles for spending $5,000 in 6 months. This was in the middle of the year and not in response to being charged an annual fee. They posted with no problems, as usual. However, when I got hit with the annual fee a few months later, I called back for a retention offer, and the agent said I was not eligible for one, because I had received one in the middle of the cardmember year.

20. SuzanneSLO
    Original Member

SuzanneSLO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received the same ofer. I see a lot of iTunes in my future. -- Suzanne

21. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had this exact same experience.

22. spinner
    Original Member

spinner Active Member

Status Points:
    This is exactly what happened to me. Recently opened the AA Amex card and thus cut down spending on my AA Mastercard. Just got the 20% bonus postcard which I activated. Now that I've reached my 1500 miles for the AMEX card I can go back to using the MC. We'll see if I get a postcard offering bonus miles for the AMEX card.

23. thefitworldtraveler
    Original Member

thefitworldtraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're coming upon your anniversary date for any Citicard, call up to see if there are any retention bonuses or promotions going on. I just called and got a bonus of 10,000 miles for spending $5k within 6 month.

24. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I wish I would have done that last month... I needed to keep the card because of the 10k promo from the Citibank checking account.

25. 2muchentropy
    Original Member

2muchentropy Silver Member

Status Points:
    And I've had a lot of very small gasoline purchases...[​IMG]