AAdvantage: Best Overall Quality FF Program (CNNGO Article)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Sep 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Interesting article by a fairly well-known FT/MP member who attended the OW MegaDO. Seven programs selected for various aspects, AAdvantage being selected as the best overall quality program.

I clearly think AAdvantage has quite a bit of value, though the reduced award availability lately has been annoying to say the least. Still, don't really disagree with overall value for a US-based program. A few other interesting choices listed including BA Avios, AS, UA, SQ, TA, and A3 for various reasons.

Thoughts? Experiences with these other programs vs. AA?

LINK.

zpaul likes this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still voice support for AS as best independent program. Being able to credit AS, AA and DL flights and redeem on all three as well is spectacular. AAdvantage is definitely the best for earning - and they treat their mid-tiers the best.

zpaul likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've toyed with opening an AS account but I still don't have a need for it. As a leisure traveler who's main goal is to see the world and do so comfortably, most of my travel is centered around OW and maintaining EXP status for lounge access, bonus miles, and SWUs.

I just don't have enough additional travel flexibility to start earning on AS as well. I'd love to use AS miles for some redemptions on carriers that aren't accessible through AA like KE, AF, and EK. Even booking CX F through HKG to JNB is a great deal on AS. I just wish I had more travel to expand, but for now EXP will have to do.

I suppose I'm just greedy. :)

zpaul likes this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I hit my EXP every year on AA, get AS MVP with my Delta domestic travel in the southeast, then "fill it up" to MVP Gold based on segments between what's left on DL, AS and short-haul AA where I don't care about an upgrade (30 min to Dallas, etc.). The nice thing is that DL gives preferred seating and upgrades to Alaska elites... and you can earn Alaska elite status without flying Alaska (though I still do, primarily for west coast trips but most recently compliments of IcelandAir). It's rather nice to earn on DL (and AS) and be able to redeem on AA.

5. dbaseworking

dbaseworking Silver Member

Status Points:
    *Alliance Vet and OW rookie.
    Taking a very close look at OW/AA programs.
    Looks like AA does have good Value.
    Good info. on the AA threads.