AAdvantage Award Question

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ndao52, Jan 2, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. ndao52

ndao52 New Member

Status Points:
    Hello, I'm new so I hope the community can help answer my question.

Does AAdvantage program allow a traveler fly two different partners airline in one award ticket? Let's just say I want to fly out of Seattle to Hong Kong that Cathay Pacific doesn't have a direct flight but they do fly to Japan and I want to fly Japan Airline to Hong Kong. Do they allow that? The reason I'm asking is because I use BA to look at award flight and they only show that option available so I'm not sure if it's allow with AAdvantage.

Thank you for your help.

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes, that is allowed.

There is a caveat you aren't going to run into here, an asterisk that you are governed by the fare rules of the primary carrier on the itinerary which can in some rare cases exclude flying on certain partners.

Pizzaman likes this.
  3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also be aware that there is an upcoming change to the awards chart that goes into effect for awards booked after March 30 that will increase the number of miles needed for international awards with travel on partner airlines.

Pizzaman likes this.
  4. ndao52

ndao52 New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you gleff and Counsellor for your help. One more question. Do they only retrict that to my home hub only? If I live in SFO, can I still book the flight from Seattle and take advantage of the two partners flight? Or only at my home hub?

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    No 'home hub' restriction. You can even add San Francisco - Seattle on Alaska Airlines.

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    fwiw the new award chart goes into effect March 22.

in general the changes are the same for travel on american and for partners.

business and first class awards go up, some economy awards go up and others go down

Counsellor and Pizzaman like this.
  7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry - my mistake. I was under the impression it was end of the month, but I should have double-checked