AAdvantage award booking 330/331 days out - is that based on USA date, or departure city date?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by iolaire, Jan 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm counting down the days to book a return trip from Thailand and hoping to get CX First award on AAdvantage (for the second time). Last time the date 330/331 days in advance arrived on a weekend and everything thing worked out, but this time it will be mid-week so I feel a need to get my timing down better so I hopefully can get HKG -> JFK rather than flying via the west coast.

So my question - will AA see the CX inventory 330/331 days in advance based on the Hong Kong calendar (one day ahead) or the US calendar?

Final question - should I be calling near midnight at 330/331 days out or is award space released at some point later in the AM?

Update 1/2: Called AA for booking for 331 days out based on BKK time (6 am) agent said I would have to book tomorrow based on Central time.

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Booking 331 days out is a bit of a myth. Airlines release some award seats when their schedules load, they don't release award seats on all flights or in all cabins. Basically they want to make those seats available as awards that they don't expect to sell for cash. And a year out they don't have a great idea what those will be.

As time progresses airlines continually evaluate sales and either pull back award inventory if they now think they can sell the seats (just because award inventory disappears doesn't mean someone else booked it) or they add inventory if sales look like they'll be below projection.

Cathay Pacific actually loads their own flight inventory > 355 days out, so does Qantas and so does British Airways. BA/QF/CX members can all book award seats that early. Oddly enough, Alaska which only loads its own schedules 331 days out will let their members book partners whenever those partners load their own schedules. American doesn't do that, restricting bookings to its own 331 day schedule window.

I believe it's local time, by the way, rather than Dallas time for instance.

But I also wouldn't worry too much about the midnight 331 days out thing. Cathay inventory tends to be pretty good and a day in either direction probably doesn't affect much, at least it doesn't most of the time. Just know that JFK has 4 flights so occasionally it'll have good F inventory though often just 1 seat rather than 2. ORD has really good inventory, frequently 2 seats (I've actually seen 3 - and that's on the 777 with only 6 seats in the cabin). YYZ inventory is outstanding but I worry booking so far out that the flight will get a schedule change to aircraft without first class but with premium economy, though I haven't kept up on this issue a whole lot. SFO has excellent first class inventory. LAX is harder, though easy for business. YVR can be hit or miss.

edog22, zpaul and iolaire like this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, but in the context of AA miles the earliest date to book using AA miles is 331 days right?

Update 1/2: Called AA for booking for 331 days out based on BKK time (6 am) agent said I would have to book tomorrow based on Central time.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Correct

zpaul and iolaire like this.