Aadvantage aviator red MasterCard

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by milerunner, Mar 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. milerunner

milerunner Silver Member

Status Points:
    So here we go with the us airways premier world MasterCard switch. They sent me an email saying I would soon be receiving this Aadvantage aviator red MasterCard. Anyone know what this is or where it came about from? Overall I am just hoping that it is a world elite MasterCard, but I am curious to know what benefits it holds over the regular citi advantage card.

satman40 likes this.
  2. swazzie

swazzie Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Aviator Red is one of 4 Barclays AAdvantage cards that the US Airways cards are being transitioned to due to the American Airlines/US Airways merger. The four cards are (with links to view the benefits):

Silver (currently invitation only) - AviatorMasterCard.com/Silver
    Red (what most cardholder appear to be changed to) - AviatorMasterCard.com/Red
    Blue - AviatorMasterCard.com/Blue
    Aviator - AviatorMasterCard.com/Aviator

I don't know if they'll replace a World MC with a World Elite MC one. The Red one is pretty similar to the Citi Platinum AAdvantage card (with a lower annual fee), but cardholders who currently get 10,000 miles each year with their US Airways card will keep that benefit. That's an AAdvantage in the Red card's favor.

satman40 and MX like this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I remember the old NWA Card, and then it went to FLEX

Which was about as flexible as bending over backwards. And every time it was used money was always left on the table.

4. BWIflyer
    Original Member

BWIflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    "The Red one is pretty similar to the Citi Platinum AAdvantage card (with a lower annual fee), but cardholders who currently get 10,000 miles each year with their US Airways card will keep that benefit. That's an AAdvantage in the Red card's favor."
    I read the letter and could not find about 10,000 miles anniversary bonus. Only thing I saw was $100 credit on spending $30,000 per year. No companion certificate also. They are giving 50% bonus miles from March 1 to June 30 upto 10,000 miles on spend after registering. May be I am missing something.

satman40 likes this.
  5. swazzie

swazzie Silver Member

Status Points:
    US Airways cardholders who currently get the 10,000 miles annually got an email last October stating the following:
    With your US Airways Dividend Miles® MasterCard®, you receive 10,000 Dividend Miles every year on the anniversary of your account opening.
    We're happy to let you know that once the US Airways and American Airlines loyalty programs combine in 2015, you'll continue to receive this benefit in the form of 10,000 AAdvantage® miles.

The new Red card won't have the companion cert, but the Citi AA cards don't have one in the first place (as far as I know).

satman40 and BWIflyer like this.
  6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the presen time I get the 10,000

If the $99 companion ticket and ability to generate elite qualifying miles through spend is important, the premium AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard will offer these benefits. This card will have a $195 annual fee and offer an annual companion ticket after $30,000 spent and 5,000 EQM’s after spending $20,000. A maximum 10,000 EQM’s can be earned this way each year.

I see Red will need to spend 30k while Silver will only need to spend 20k, is my understanding, I have Lifetime so could care less, but I am padding the wifes account, like to move he to lifetime.

7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Citi and AAdvantage Aviator Red card: The annual fee on the Barclay card is $89, while the Citi card is $95. The Red AAdvantage card will no longer offer a 5,000 mile award discount, annual $99 companion ticket, or the ability to earn 10,000 Preferred Qualifying Miles after completing $25,000 in annual spend. Instead, it will offer the same benefits as the Citi Platinum AAdvantage card:

• 10% discount on award redemptions (up to 10,000 miles per year)
    • Annual $100 flight discount after $30,000 spent
    • 25% off in-flight purchases
    • First checked bag free
    • Priority boarding

It appears the Barclay Red AAdvantage card will not be eligible for AAdvantage Reduced Mileage Awards, though that may change once the card actually becomes available in 2015. The current US Airways card comes with a 10,000 mile annual bonus, which will continue to be paid out once the card converts to the Aviator Red card.

8. swazzie

swazzie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please note that not all US Airways cards come with the annual bonus.

satman40 likes this.
  9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know, that is why I said mine did....

It was one of those flights where the FA was hawking credit cards...

The real problem most miles are so devalued, with next years schedules., but they did give them away last year....

10. richardvf

richardvf New Member

Status Points:
    According to the Barclay's terms and conditions, the red card is eligible for reduced mileage awards. My red card will also award me 10,000 annual miles and waived foreign transaction fees. Much superior than the Citi Platinum Aadvantage card in my opinion.