AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by vickers, Jul 24, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. vickers

vickers Gold Member

I just noticed a link on my Barclay Aviator Red homepage:

"Upgrade your account benefits"

From there, I can self-upgrade to the Silver card:

Please take a moment to review and accept your new AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard® with a $195 annual fee and new benefits:

Your account will be upgraded on 08/22/2015 and you will:

• Earn 3X miles for every dollar spent on eligible US Airways® and American Airlines® purchases
    • Earn 2X miles for every dollar spent on select hotel and car rental purchases
    • Earn 1X miles for every dollar spent on purchases everywhere else MasterCard® is accepted
    Approximately 1 week thereafter, the following additional benefits will be added to your account:

• Earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles for each $20,000 in annual purchases (10,000 maximum EQMs per year)
    • Earn a companion certificate good for up to 2 guests at $99 each which will be issued each year after your account anniversary when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases and maintain your account in good standing (taxes and fees apply)
    • Pay for the $100 Global Entry application fee with your card and you'll automatically receive a $100 statement credit 2-3 weeks after your transaction. With this benefit, you can receive a $100 statement fee credit once every five years.
    Additional information:

• Your upgraded account will have an annual fee of $195. We will charge this annual fee to your account effective on 04/29/2016 and each year thereafter.
    • By agreeing to this upgrade, your benefit terms will change as described. Your new account will have no foreign transaction fees and a new annual fee. All other rates and fees will remain the same.
    • You will receive your new card in the mail along with a letter detailing the fee change and the new rewards and benefits terms that will apply to your account. Your new card will have the same account number and expiration date.
    • After reviewing the materials, if you do not wish to be upgraded, contact us by 09/10/2015.
    bucketlist and satman40 like this.
  2. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

I've seen speculation that the 10,000 anniversary miles for old US Air cards may be grandfathered. If so, that's a decent reason NOT to upgrade ... for me anyway.
    satman40 and vickers like this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

To me this is a pass, I just do not trust Barclay, but it may be good for many...

It is a good post, We have used the CP's before...

With US Air it was so simple....and churn able...
  4. swazzie

swazzie Silver Member

My Red account hasn't been targeted for the upgrade yet. I've also called twice (once after the 10k mile annual bonus posted and again after the annual fee posted) but the offer isn't available to me. I did get the annual fee waived today, so that softens the blow.