AAdavantage Dining Program

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by PhoenixDown, Dec 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Silver Member

Status Points:
    I came across this and am wondering if anyone is using it? Thinking of adding it to my CSP card for even more awesomeness!

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/earnMiles/beyondTravel/retail/aadvantageDining.jsp

brucewil likes this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used it for about a year so far. 1,000 bonus points on sign up and points when you dine. A word of caution: always check the website before you go out to eat. They don't notify you when restaurants are dropped from the program (I kept going to my favorite place, then one day the points stopped posting; that's how I found out). I don't use it as often anymore since they dropped my favorite place, and the few restaurants left on the list in my area aren't too appetizing. You would have a better selection if close to a major city.

flyforawg likes this.
  3. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    No brainer. You are earning miles passively by dining at restaurants that you would anyway. We have one or two favorites that we regularly dine. The extra miles are great. There are other similar programs with United and US I think. You can only earn miles on one airline on one card though. In other words, you can't register your one and only CSP with different programs. If you sign up for AA and then sign up the same card with UA, you won't get miles on both. The program is run by the same company.

4. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been using it now for a decade--- wow time passes!

Great way to earn miles. Normally the miles post like clockwork, but occasionally there are issues where even if it's a day where one is supposed to earn miles, sometimes miles on occasion don't post.

With that said, be sure to hang onto your receipt until your miles post in the event Rewards Network needs to see a copy of your dining receipt for verification.

Otherwise, the only bad thing is, you might only end up eating at Rewards Network restaurants once you get addicted to miles. ;)

viguera likes this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like everyone else said, it's a no-brainer.

A couple of things to keep in mind though...

Everything is run through the same program, and there are other airlines and hotels running dining rewards, so you can't register the same card on all the portals to dip multiple times. So if you sign up with AA now and register some cards, and you try to register the same cards with IHG Dining Rewards or whatever, it will automatically un-register them from the AA program. You usually get an email about that, but the important thing to remember is to keep an eye on what you want to earn, and register the cards there.

Although this is a really easy way to keep a dormant account active... so you can just temporarily register the card with some program and buy a slice of pizza or a soda from a participating place, then go back and register it somewhere else.

The other thing as was mentioned is to keep an eye on the site. A lot of restaurants have variable days by program, so a place that offers rewards with AA on Friday might not offer them on Thursday, or they might offer them with a hotel dining program instead. Something to keep in mind if you don't want to "waste" any miles/points.

Max M and zphelj like this.
  6. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also been using it for years. Have the app on the phone so if I am in an area where I am not familiar with the dining options, I can find something that will give me miles AND has decent reviews.
    I have earned thousands and thousands of miles this way.

7. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't know they had an app. I shall go searching now.

Mapsmith and viguera like this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The app used to be terrible, to the point that I removed it and just used the website whenever possible... :)

I think someone here actually created an app as well for it, but I don't know whatever happened to it.

Mapsmith and MSYgirl like this.
  9. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been using it for years as well. There is an Android App that's not great but worked last time I checked. I mostly just use the web site; works OK under webkit and Android so IOS should be OK too.

viguera and Mapsmith like this.
  10. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Silver Member

Status Points:
    Appreciate the feedback -- I signed up for it. I don't see the restaurants I normally frequent but I like to try new places and see a few familiar names that I'm sure I'll pop into at one point or another :)

viguera, Mapsmith and MSYgirl like this.
  11. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed the old AA Rewards Network app was crap, however recently their mobile site, as least for iPhone has vastly improved.

Sometimes I shuffle credit cards registrations while dining, amongs the various airlines Rewards Network programs, and with the old mobile app, and even using the AA Rewards Network on a mobile device it was a pain, taking a long time to update credit cards.

If you haven't used the AA Rewards Network mobile site recently, give it another try.

viguera likes this.
  12. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been VIP for a few years though not next year. It was handy while traveling for work; clue you in on places to try with a serving of extra miles on top.