AA183 turning around -- any idea what's up?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Jenny & Curt, May 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just looking on Flightradar24 to see who was over our heads and saw AA 183 LAX-PVG seemingly doing a U-turn back towards LAX. Anyone hear why?

--Listening to Live ATC as they approach LAX; the tower advised nearby aircraft that AA183 had a medical emergency. Wonder what happened.

Efilon87 likes this.
  2. NickP 1K

NickP 1K New Member

Status Points:
    I was on AA 183 this last Saturday.

About 20 mins into the flight a passenger one row back from me in the bulhead (I was window, she was in the center set of seats) starting having seizures. Younger lady, apparently passenger next to her was a co-worker and stated she had forget to take a particular prescription medication. Crew administered Oxygen, call was made for a Doctor on board and for once there wasn't one. We were initially told we would divert to SFO but not sure if they were having flow control or something as very quickly it changed to LAX and we came down QUICK and kept a high speed throughout the turn around back to LAX. Didn't dump any fuel (assuming we were still within gross landing weight)

We were parked in the remote gates at LAX where LA Fire Dept paramedics came on board and took the passenger off (she walked off but wasn't in a good state)

We DID depart with the same crew however due to quick landing (and being near full fueled) and quick braking as we landed flight crew said maintenance asked us to remain as is for one hour to allow brakes to cool while they did fuel top up and located the removed passenger (+ companions) bags. On the ground for about an hour and unlike United the crew all was fine to continue as long as door was closed before 5PM so no chance of crew time illegal (sorry had too many UA situations like this where either they just cancel or the crew whines that they will go illegal)

BTW: AA Crew on this flight did an excellent job; really took care of the pax and one crewmember sat with her the remainder of the flight (three passenger seats were taken up the lady lying down and the crewmember being next to her. As she didn't improve during oxygen administration the purser made a decision that we needed to get her medical help on the ground quick.

3. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much for this further info. We just happened, for no particular reason, to look at the flight track and saw the big U-Turn right over our Fair City. (We're almost exactly half way between LAX and SFO.) LiveATC was very interesting during this incident, as approach control, tower and finally ground handled the other traffic smoothly, explaining that there was a medical emergency. They were holding folks at their gates on the ground, as well.
    I would hope that things were handled this professionally, all around, if ever I or a loved one needed medical help while flying.