AA170 NRT-LAX schedule change effective 3/27

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by popfly, Mar 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. popfly
    Original Member

popfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just discovered that AA170 will begin departing at 3:25pm effective 3/27 therefore making it impossible to make a legal connection on either CX or JL's morning flight out of HKG. Has this impacted anyone else that flies this route? I guess this means that I will have to fly HKG-PVG-LAX on the return when the new PVG-LAX starts but man, I sure will miss the Sakura lounge...

2. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    CX operates a very nice lounge in PVG.

3. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is also the option of the red-eye flight from HKG-NRT on CX. Makes for a long layover, but it's an option. Also in April AA and JL begin the JBA over the pacific, so you will have the JL LAX flight at 17:35 as an option.

Or the well timed HKG-HND-SFO flights on CX/JL > JL with a simple connection from SFO-LAX on AA.

4. popfly
    Original Member

popfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I fly this route I am often using a SWU to upgrade to J so the new JL flight at 17:35 will not work for me... I've looked into the red-eye but I think PVG will have to be the option moving forward unless I am stopping over in Tokyo...

5. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    When doing this HKG/PVG/LAX do Americans need a visa for china or do you get to stay air side of immigration?

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    PVG has a 48 hour visa free transit for passengers that hold certain passports, including the US.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin and Tenmoc like this.
  7. pauleeepaul
    Original Member

pauleeepaul Active Member

Status Points:
    I had a recent trip where my plans changed and i connected in PVG, from Asiana to AA midafternoon on 2 separate bookings. Upon arrival the airside connection area did not appear to be available. Since I had a multiple entry visa for China i didn't sweat it but wondered what I would have done if not.

8. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    What? Unless there is more than one CX lounge in PVG, I didn't find the lounge to be that good. The carpet was worn, there were no showers, and it's tiny. It's on the roof of some store or something. I much prefer the lounges in NRT.