AA Will Start LAX-DCA on a 757 Starting 6/14

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Feb 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This is old news for those who follow airline blogs or have seen the thread on Flyertalk, but for those who don't follow so closely.....

LINK.

American Airlines, a founding member of the oneworld® alliance, today announced it will launch new nonstop two-class Boeing 757 service between Washington Reagan National Airport (DCA) and Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) on June 14, 2012. The new service will complement American's three existing daily round-trip flights between LAX and Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD).

"We are very excited to be able to fly between our nation's capital and its second largest city," said Virasb Vahidi, American's Chief Commercial Officer. "This new flight is a great addition to 150 daily American and American Eagle departures to 42 destinations from Los Angeles, and means Californians have multiple ways to get to the East Coast from here."

Here is the schedule for the new flight:

From Los Angeles to Washington Reagan:
    Flight 240
    Departs: 8:00 a.m.
    Arrives: 4:00 p.m.
    From Washington Reagan to Los Angeles:
    Flight 245
    Departs: 5:10 p.m.
    Arrives: 7:40 p.m.

Tickets go on sale for this new flight on Sunday, March 4, 2012. The route will be flown using Boeing 757 aircraft with 22 First Class seats and 166 Main Cabin seats

2. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is the beyond perimeter flight right? AA's years of struggle getting this route approved finally materialized

3. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    "beyond perimeter" isn't defined in the glossary. What's the history there?

4. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    LETTERBOY and TheBeerHunter like this.
  5. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder how AA's codeshare partner AS feels about this move. It seems competitive as AS currently has the only service on LAX-DCA

7. Robt760

Robt760 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The DCA-LAX part isn't as competitive, since the AS flight leaves in the morning (after aircraft RON), the AA flight is doing a turn and going back within an hour or so.

On another note, B6, US, Virgin American, and AS each have a slot into DCA from any of the "beyond perimeter airports they serve (some with stipulations) Who's to say one of them won't want an LAX-DCA flight (or in the AS case and additional flight) as well?

8. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Virgin America (not Vrigin American) doesn't fly to DCA. Where do you see that they have slots?

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good reading here: LINK. Explains the opening of DCA and how the additonal slots will be allocated out and how VX would be eligible.

John777 likes this.
  10. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    But it doesn't mention VX in particular. Robt760 said they have a slot into DCA.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps he's seen an annoucement/news article/post somewhere that indicates the slots have been assigned? I haven't seen it though.

John777 likes this.
  12. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's just speculation that VX has a decent chance of getting one. There are four slots up for grabs to everyone other than AA/DL/US/UA, so that leaves Virgin, Southwest, Frontier, JetBlue, Spirit, Alaska (who else am I forgetting?) to fight over those four (I suppose maybe Sun Country or Allegiant or someone like that could bid too).

You have to think VX has a pretty strong chance of falling in that top four, since they currently have no service at the airport.

However, it just struck me that I've read some speculation that Airbus aircraft don't have enough runway length at DCA to get all the way to LAX/SFO with a full load...if that's true, I wonder how that would impact VX, since they only fly Airbus?

13. Whendoublewidesfly

Whendoublewidesfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    It will be interesting if this actually gets approved. Right now Alaska fly this same route once a day. They use to do it 2x a day and they reduced it to 1x daily. AA/AS are partners, I wonder if AS will pull out of this route

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Also Air Canada and WestJet, potentially Porter. Canadian carriers are also on the eligible list. ;)

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Why would it not get approved? The way the reg is written, AA is essentially guaranteed a slot and LAX fits the requirements for a destination.

The AS issue is separate and I don't really get into the armchair CEOing. :)

16. Whendoublewidesfly

Whendoublewidesfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Missed the part above that they each have a slot beyond the perimeter! In that case I don't see why it wouldn't get approved! My mistake!

17. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Porter's Q400s can just barely get past the 1,250 mile perimeter :)

18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Better hope the wind works in their favor? :) Admittedly very unlikely (hence the 'potentially' break out from AC and WS) but it is an eligible applicant.

19. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ....am trying to picture going from DCA to LAX in the back of a 757.....

20. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't that lifted years ago? I used to fly TWA on this route prior to their acquisition by AA...

21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wikipedia LINK on the DCA perimeter rule.

Originally the airport had no perimeter rule; in 1954-1960 airlines scheduled nonstop flights to California on piston-engine airliners. Scheduled jet airliners were not allowed at all until April 1966; the perimeter rule arrived with them, and apparently applied only to them. The initial perimeter was 650 statute miles (1,050 km), except that airports under 1,000 statute miles (1,600 km) that had scheduled nonstops in 1965 were allowed to retain them. This meant Minneapolis-St Paul was allowed nonstop jet flights but Kansas City, New Orleans, and Fort Lauderdale were not. In 1981 the perimeter became a flat 1,000 statute miles (1,600 km); it expanded to 1,250 statute miles (2,010 km), enough to encompass Houston, in 1986-87.

22. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    In that case, maybe we'll see DCA-YVR on AC. :D

23. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also interesting to note that the perimeter rule at DCA was put into place to spur growth of traffic at IAD.

24. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right...under the terms of the new rule, four total perimeter-exempt slot pairs are available to US/AA/DL/UA; however, those four can only receive one slot pair each, so it's guaranteed that AA will get one of the slots.

Beyond that, these four incumbent airlines don't need government approval for the beyond-perimeter destination. If I recall correctly, the specific scheduling of the flight is subject to government approval, but not the destination.

25. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Canadian airlines aren't actually real!