AA Will Start Codesharing with OpenSkies (EC)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Dec 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    LINK.

The agreement allows American to place its code on OpenSkies flights between Newark Liberty International Airport and Paris Orly Airport. The codeshare also extends connecting opportunities via Newark Liberty to Dallas/Fort Worth, Chicago O'Hare, Los Angeles and Miami.

OpenSkies creates a luxurious environment for its customers by offering all premium seating with a choice of large seats that convert to fully flat beds as well as seats that recline to 140 degrees. The airline focuses on quality with a commitment to maintaining a close relationship with its passengers by operating a fleet of four specially designed Boeing 757s.

"We're very happy to announce this codeshare agreement with American Airlines, which gives our customers the benefits of American's extensive network," said Patrick Malval, OpenSkies Managing Director. "This codeshare agreement will further develop into OpenSkies joining the joint business agreement between American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia effective Jan. 1, 2012, bringing added benefits for transatlantic travel."

2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That may be enough to keep OpenSkies flying, I hope so. Thus far the reports have been quite a disappointment for BA. At least they have plenty of seats!

Titans26 and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    With a single route (yes?) I really wonder if it's worth it for BA to have the overhead of a separate corporate structure and brand etc.

jbcarioca and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, this could potentially provide the feed they need to be successful. Though the thing I could really say is that they need to launch either MIA or DFW to really be able to take advantage of the partnership

jbcarioca, Titans26 and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably not with a 757, though? And then the "airline" starts getting more complicated already...

6. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, the problem is that the connection between LGA and JFK is a huge pain, so it really only gains AA's NYC feed. To really be valuable they need to be able to take advantage of the feed from AA. Though they probably could work something out in BOS

jbcarioca and Titans26 like this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OpenSkies' NYC airport is EWR. ;)

8. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why the @!*&# couldn't they have gotten their act together to put this in place while EC still had the IAD-ORY route? I'd have been all over that.

Skye1, jbcarioca and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    good for OpenSkies, I recall flying them out of JFK a few years ago.

10. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    A code share may have provided enough feed traffic at IAD to keep it alive. At the risk of my upgrades, it might have increased AA's premium traffic on the xxx-IAD routes.

A couple of times I was going to fly EC but stopped because of no mile earning on AA.

11. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here. I would have loved to have flown them for more than one trip, but once I was focused on making EXP, not being able to credit to AA made it a non-starter.

jbcarioca, Travel2Food and LETTERBOY like this.
  12. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I remember this as well, the original Openskies flew out of JFK to AMS while L'Avion flew from EWR to ORY. L'Avion merged with Openskies and the JFK-AMS was later dropped.

Sweet Willie and jbcarioca like this.
  13. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew Openskies JFK-ORY route.

14. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have flown JFK-ORY with them as well....a fantastic experience, to be sure. Interestingly, it's already showing as an AA option for getting from LHR to the US, via Paris....

15. Albert
    Original Member

Albert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see a codeshare IB flight on OpenSkies...would I be able to get AA credit on the flight?

16. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking at TATL fares involving routing via OpenSkies shows prices not massively different from the "standard" AA-metal routes. Could be an interesting way to get across the Atlantic with a decent cabin experience that doesn't cost an upgrade (via systemwide/eVIP nor a miles+copay).

17. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Didn't I read somewhere that Open Skies was reconfiguring its planes to remove the non-flat biz class part and put in economy instead? If so, it isn't adding that much.

DCtrAAveler likes this.
  18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They're going 3 class this month, so the classes of service are now Biz Bed (Business), Prem Plus (Premium Economy), and Eco (Economy).

DCtrAAveler likes this.
  19. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, sad to hear..... Buzzkill for the idea I posted earlier, but good to know.

LETTERBOY and DCtrAAveler like this.
  20. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...and it seems to me, with Destination David's update on cabin classes, that they've diluted some of what set them apart from BA, with the big diff. simply being that BA has "First" and OpenSkies doesn't.

Open Skies: Econonmy, Premium Econonmy, Business
    Britiish Airways: Economy, Premium Econonmy, Business, First

(And, whilst not sure on how far along BA's "New First" rollout is, but I might guess that Businss on OpenSkies might be a slightly better experience than "Old First" on BA....

LETTERBOY likes this.
  21. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I'm not sure on that last part. The one time I did fly IAD-ORY, the BizBed product was old-style BA Club World seating - with the fabric accordeon divider, not the newer electric plastic one. Small cabin, personal service, but not on par with even "Old First," I don't think [although I don't have first-hand knowledge to compare]. Not sure if they're upgrading to something like the current CW seat with the refurb to add Eco, but I still don't think it would compare with F.

BizSeat - now PremiumEco - was fine for the day flight home. Pretty standard recliner-style business class seating.

Even through the new Eco seating should still be better than Y on a mainline carrier, I think the addition has somewhat dliuted the 'brand' - it's no longer an 'all-business' service as it was originally intended [both the original Open Skies, l'Avion, and then the combined carrier with the OpenSkies name].

It was a great option for getting to Paris from DC without a stop somewhere. Not sure I'd be tempted to use them now, esp. with having to get to EWR. I'd just as soon try for CW to LHR and connect to ORY from there. The ORY arrival is really one of the best parts about the service. You avoid the schlep into town from CDG.

Skye1 likes this.
  22. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Completely agree on all counts. I think another thing that set them apart was that by doing so, you've got a lot less people in the plane overall, and it makes for a much quit-er, less "slave ship" feeling aircraft. ORY was fantastic for getting into Paris.