AA Will Launch Hourly Shuttle Service Between JFK-LAX in Early 2014

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, May 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    For those who were worried about the smaller Airbus planes that AA will be using on this route, it looks like frequency will indeed be increasing.

LINK.

The high frequency is favored by business travelers who pay higher fares for last-minute tickets. The new planes have nearly a third of their seats in business or first class. Airlines are limited in the number of daily takeoffs and landings at JFK. In order to increase Los Angeles service, the airline will have to cut elsewhere. Vahidi would not say what routes would be eliminated.

American will also allow boarding through the second door on these planes. That way coach passengers no longer walk through first class on their way back to their seats, giving first class passengers more privacy.

The airline also unveiled a new VIP check-in area at JFK Wednesday to ease its top customers and first class transcontinental passengers through the airport. Similar "Flagship Check-In" areas already exist in Los Angeles and Miami, with another opening this summer in Chicago.

Seat6A, Aktchi, jbcarioca and 4 others like this.
  2. abk
    Original Member

abk Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a slick idea. They need a name: how about the Bicoastal shuttle or NYLA Shuttle (or Express)?

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They'll be second to the market with a transcon shuttle service; UA is doing the same to try to screw VX on the EWR routes. There is going to be an awful lot of capacity in the market. That's good for consumers looking for low fares but it is hard to believe that it is sustainable long-term for profitable operations.

KENNECTED, skyvan, jbcarioca and 3 others like this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Posted in the other thread

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Huh? :confused: The article does specifically indicate this is on the JFK-LAX route and the route will still be operated on A321 aircraft. I'm a bit confused by your comment....;)

6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Must've read wrong. I thought the article said A320. Sorry!

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed good news.

Let's see how often mid-cabin boarding ultimately occurs. On the 757s, its far from all the time (even at gates that have the extra nose room).

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    They were using it on the MIA-MCO route on both ends for my recent flights last week. Was surprised to see them hold back the Y cabin passengers until F were off.

NYBanker and jbcarioca like this.
  9. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    The term "shuttle" seems cheap. Maybe call it the Baldwin/Words With Friends route. HA!

I wonder if AA would do something like make one or two planes all-F and/or all-J on this route.

AnthonyB1609 and jbcarioca like this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Why? THey've already got a disproportionally large number of seats in the premium cabins on those flights. It seems quirte unlikely that they need more F/C seats to sell.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point. Further the majority all premium flights are so partly because of load limitations (SQ SIN-EWR has been an example, they could not carry a full pax complement plus freight so axed the Y cabin entirely. A318's ex LCY are another). They do need healthy premium demand to support these routes and none seem to last very long.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the A321s would be capacity-restricted on the transcons even if they didn't have the high number of premium seats. The other two certainly have that as a limiting factor; others which have done similar (of them OpenSkies is probably the only still flying) the goal was customer service, not aircraft limitations.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    LCY has runway length and approach limitations that forced lower weight limits for the aircraft.
    The SQ A340 was weight limited for the extreme range required thus causing them to eliminate the economy seats and their additional weight.
    Obviously the A321 would have no such limitation. The increased number of premium seats reduces rather than increases empty weight of the aircraft with the notable exception of the EK A380, which carries typically an extra ton of water for the showers.
    I suspect we probably agree on the issues. Everyone from AirOne to OpenSkies have had large problems trying to fill a totally premium cabin on a profitable basis. All the sustained exceptions of which I know were either depending on cargo (often with Combi's) or had some operating limitation.

As we all know Premium yields are hard to come by these days for any carrier.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  14. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had a DFW-based FA today who said she's starting training on the A321 next month so October/November looks good for seeing the first of them.
    Agree, and AA will have the only lay flat F transcon cabin now (except for the odd international wide body). UA's PS service no longer has F, just business. And isn't DL two-class as well?

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    JetBlue will have mini-suites eventually.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:

One question I have is, how much extra value does lay flat F have over lay flat J? No sarcasm, I know, I know, it's a rule of FT and MP that F >> J >>>>>>> Y. It seems like the main benefit is direct aisle access, with slightly better food and privacy?

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    That and connecting through to international F in either LAX or JFK vs "slumming" in J on that transcon, especially when it's two class. Makes the value prop for buying F or redeeming F that much higher.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But how much of that traffic is really connecting? For United there aren't all that many markets which can't be served as a one-stop without needing the p.s. service. AA would be a bit harder but there are BA flights which help.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    You need to ask specifically how much of the F traffic isn't O/D. :)

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    My response exactly. Hard product may be similar but not identical (look at the new J seats on the 777W) but the soft product adds enhancement as well as just the fact that as good as J can be, F is more often than not better (on true premium services).

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now, if only they would upgrade ORD services a little! For example, there is exactly 1 ORD-JFK flight per day.

jbcarioca and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What do you need more than that for? There aren't all that many destinations served ex-JFK which you can't get either non-stop from ORD or via another connection. And if you want to get to NYC then going to LGA is likely a better place to go. The JFK slots are way more valuable on other routes than ORD connections.

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, it looks like I called this one pretty accurately. :(

24. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not boarding through L2 with the 321T's?

25. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not especially surprising. Airbus apparently recommends against it in most scenarios.

Sean Colahan likes this.