AA vouchers worth more

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jakem4800, Nov 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA does not include tax on a ticket when using a voucher (domestically) and they issue you another voucher for the unused value, which is a substantial savings.. Do they do this on international travel too saving you the tax?

2. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's a pretty comprehensive guide to everything voucher related with AA:

http://flyerguide.com/index.php/Vouchers_(AA)

zphelj likes this.
  3. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's got three things going for it: It's clear, it's concise, and it's wrong. I have a $300 voucher and wanted to use it to upgrade my existing biz class JFK/EZE flight. Multiple agents have told me it can't be used to upgrade if the ticket is already purchased. Miraculously, AA is more than happy to accept cash for the same upgrade. Or as a Condé Nast Ombudsman put it, "It's amazing the lengths an airline will go to, to antagonize its customers."

zphelj likes this.
  4. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    With all due respect, I'm confused by specific type of upgrade you attempted to use the $300 voucher for.

Were you trying to use your voucher to use a part of a mileage+co-pay, or to use it for an upfare from Biz to First?

If it was an attempt to use the voucher towards the co-pay part of an upgrade, AA won't let you use a voucher to pay the cash portion of a mileage co-pay, be it domestic or international. And yes, that portion of the link is incorrect--- I've tried on more than on occasion to use vouchers to attempt to pay the cash co-pay portion of a mileage upgrade and was not successful.

[BTW, I have no affiliation with that link posted other than just posting the URL in my previous post.]

If it was simply to do an upfare, I don't see why AA wouldn't accept the voucher to pay the difference. As I'm sure you're aware, some discounted Business fares have change fees associated with them. However, some times AA will waive the change fee when doing an upfare to a higher class of service. Even if there was a $200 fee to change the COS, and you had a $300 voucher, and AA wouldn't accept it to cover an upfare, then indeed, it is a silly business practice.

zphelj likes this.
  5. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    The latter. Earlier, AA had screwed up my reservation, then promised a voucher as compensation (I'll spare you the details). The voucher didn't show up until days after I'd booked (and paid for) JFK/EZE in biz, and EZE/JFK in first (figuring after a week in Tierra del Fuego I deserved it;)). Then the voucher finally showed up and I thought I'd use it to go first on the outbound flight too. That's when they told me the voucher could not be used for this upgrade, but they'd be glad to accept real cash money.

zphelj likes this.
  6. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's really sad that AA wouldn't let you use it to upfare, especially since I bet the voucher wouldn't have totally covered the fare difference, and that would mean they would get some cash from you.

I can see why you were frustrated--- that's just mind boggling that AA didn't want you to upfare just because a voucher was attempted to be used.

7. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, the voucher is for $300, and the upgrade costs $250. Anyway, it's no big tragedy -- I'll simply use it for my next trip. But it is kinda crummy of them to issue a voucher as partial compensation for their own botched error, and then not allow me to use it on the same reservation. Oh well, anything to squeeze an extra buck out of the customer. I think my next SA flight plan with be to/from SCL instead of EZE. So I'll do a code share and fly LAN Chile. That'll fix 'em;).

8. Travel Warrior

Travel Warrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had the same bad experience with AA's paper vouchers. I had to change an existing reservation and in the process pay the penalty. Since the new fare was lower, I asked if the difference couldn't be applied to the penalty but was told no, I would have to accept a paper voucher for several hundred dollars -- incredible in this day of web functions. Strike One for AA. I typically use the call centers since I upgrade with miles and co-pays, and unlike UA, AA still doesn't let us do this basic function online. So on another trip, I asked the call center if we could apply the voucher for part of that fare, and the call center said it would be too complicated to do both the upgrade and apply the voucher. Strike Two for AA. A few months later, for a reservation made several months in advance and where I was paying a full first class fare, I asked the call center if I could apply the voucher. Sure, the call center said, BUT I would need to mail it to some address in Florida by registered mail (so now add the hassle of a trip to post office) but since the post office tried to deliver my envelope when AA's Florida office was closed, the delivery got delayed several days, plus there is no way to call that office to see if the voucher was in fact received and would be properly applied. For the next three months, this reservation showed in my online profile as "pending" and when I called the call center to ask why it was still "pending," they said not to worry, the reservation was fine. It was only a week before departure and when I went ballistic on the phone that they finally "confirmed" my longstanding and quite expensive ticket. I have to believe that this paper process must be very expensive for American unless they get a huge number of vouchers that aren't redeemed (I've intentionally let two smaller ones lapse since it wasn't worth the trouble to use them). The interesting thing will be when the states argue that the lapsed vouchers should have escheated to them as abandoned property, not to American.