AA Vacations Hilton Status Recognition - Stay credit

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Jason, Jun 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have experience in booking Hilton stays through AA Vacations? (the packages through American Airlines). You choose the hotel you want to stay at and they give you a package deal for the flights and hotel at considerable savings.

To make the best decision, I want to make sure I understand the difference as a Hilton diamond member. I'm guessing I probably won't get stay or night credit. But does anyone know for sure? Would I still get the executive floor upgrade and access to the executive lounge? What about points for incidentals like room service, etc?

Thanks for any info!

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently used AA miles to book an SPG and Marriott hotel in Hawaii. You don't get the stay credit, but otherwise your elite member benefits apply. You need to make sure you point this out to them when you check in, because the reservation will not have your membership information on it.

Also, by having them add your membership info to the reservation you will get points for incidentals, so you can feel free to charge whatever you can to the room if you want to earn some points out of the stay.

Jason and marcwint55 like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be certain to contact the hotel manager in advance to give him your diamond number and request any upgrades or accomodations he can provide you.

Jason and viguera like this.
  4. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    For anyone interested, I found out that if booked through a 3rd party site like aa vacations, you don't receive any points at all for any charges. I had a stay earlier this year, and asked Hilton why I didn't get any credit, even for room service. They said that if the stay wasn't valid to receive stay or point credit, than nothing on the portfolio does.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that's strange... my SPG and Marriott stays via aavacations both received points for incidentals -- room service, parking, etc.

6. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I assume SPG and Marriott have a different policy than Hilton. It's good to know, helps make the decision easier when weighing the options of where to stay and how to book it. I have received points for incidentals on Hilton award stays, so that's different too I guess.

7. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had an experience similar to Jason's a few weeks ago at the El Conquistador in Fajardo, Puerto Rico. I booked the stay through Expedia before I had status with Hilton (dumb). Then I read reports from others who had booked various Hilton properties through third party sites and who had achieved success in getting points for incidentals. So I figured I would run the experiment and I called the El Con. They wouldn't allow me to add my HHonors number to the reservation over the phone, but indicated that the check-in clerk would be happy to add it when I arrived on site. Sure enough, they did add my HHonors number to the reservation when I checked in--no problem. However, I received no Gold benefits during the stay and have received no relevant points in my account since (to be fair, I received no indication from the check-in person that I would receive Gold benefits, and I wasn't pushy about it).

Anyway, this experience is only tangentially related to AA Vacations; I report it because Expedia is third party.

8. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    Something I'm considering trying is the rate match that Hilton says they'll do. I'm going to book through Hilton to get credit and then apply to match an Expedia or AA rate. I doubt they'll match the package, but if the pure room rate is less, I'll save a print screen and apply.

9. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had the same experience booking on AAvacation to HNL, 7 nights stay with no credit because booked thru the 3rd party which is AA, was I bummed to hear about it, so no more AA vacation booking for me.