AA - US Merger

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by zshanlon, Apr 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There's a lot up in the air, but most mergers take time. I won't really speculate on a time frame.

As for the alliance, nothing makes sense except a new US/AA entity entering OW. Taking AA out of OW would break the OW alliance without a North American partner. Plus, Having UA/CO/US/AA all come into *A with only DL in ST leaves a lot of competition issues, I doubt an approved merger would have the blessing of regulators or even the blessing of UA/CO to remain in *A.

If you suddenly find yourself in the OW alliance, you still have options to to Nairobi. British Airways flies from LHR (watch that YQ, it adds up) and Royal Jordanian flies through AMM. If the Etihad partnership remains that AA currently has, you can also fly through AUH.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I should add, AA's pilots' union press release states the proposed combined airline will be a OW carrier.

4. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe you can connect North America-Africa with AA miles through the Middle East on an award on EY or RJ. It has to be booked as two separate awards NA-ME and ME-Africa, as AA puts the Middle East into a region with the Indian subcontinent.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No need to doubt yourself, you absolutely cannot connect in the Middle East to Africa, but please show me where I said it was one award? I only said you can still get to NBO with OW and AA partners, which is true. If there's one thing I'm pretty good at with regards to AA, it's award rules. ;)

desamo and aptraveler like this.
  6. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    This raises so many questions as to what to do with existing balances. The questions I have are as follows:

1. Is there any real danger that AA FF miles will disappear? If so should I try and ticket something now on another carrier for protection or would bankruptcy void that tix?

2. If they do merge and they join OneWorld, what would happen to existing award bookings on Star Alliance carriers? Once again should I get in now and book that aspirational Lufthansa/Swiss tix now to safeguard.

If they do merge I am hoping they adopt the AA mileage plan with one way awards and agents who seem to have a clue. I also hope they continue the Grand Slam.

7. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you did not say that. I attempted to anticipate the potential question that someone may have about it. Someone looking at the AA chart US-Africa and thinking they can get it for that will have an issue. You know what you meant, I know what you meant, but I (as seems to be my style alas) did not quite explain myself clearly enough. Sorry about that! :oops:

desamo and aptraveler like this.
  8. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flights that are already ticketed are never a problem (to my knowlege ;) )

desamo likes this.
  9. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well damn, I am *A Phoenix. This will make things inconvenient.

10. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this happens, it "aint'a" gonna happen in 2012. Look how long United and Continental took to come to the March 3 unification, and they weren't even in bankruptcy (when they merged).

Yes, DestinationDavid is correct that the pilots union says "OneWorld." Actually I found it in the union's open latter to pilots rather than in the shorter press release per se. https://public.alliedpilots.org/apa...Id/1097/The-rebirth-of-American-Airlines.aspx

I don't know why the following is important to me, but if it happens it looks like the combined carrier would be called American Airlines. I was pleased to read that. Obviously it is a much more iconic brand name than that of the airline that seems to have had more names than Carter has pills. And many people, including even the AA flight attendant prez as recently as after the bankruptcy, still can't get US's name right -- still calling it "USAir," without the "ways."

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd hate to see the name American Airlines disappear. Still makes me sad that Pan Am is dead.

On a "bright side" note, perhaps a merger would mean a new livery for AA. I've never been a fan of the current iteration of AA's logo. I much prefer the retro stylings of previous eras, as is made obvious by my choice of profile pictures here on MP. Even an updated, modern redesign would be better than what I view as the very dated and unflattering livery currently in use.

12. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    OW does seem like the logical destination. My only concern is that the days of easily buying US miles (GS, 100% bonus, etc) are coming to an end. It seems a whole lot tougher to get AA miles than US. US' 90k in C to North Asia will also be sorely missed...

Sky King and LETTERBOY like this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I highly, highly doubt that a merger would mean AA miles being dumped in mass. AAdvantage is a huge program with a massive reach. US would be silly to start off a new relationship with an unfamiliar customer base by essentially setting fire to their precious miles. We might see a new name, or new award charts, but to think the miles will just *poof* disappear is a more than a bit unlikely.

Your miles will be around, what they are called and how you can use them might be different though.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Getting a bit ahead of ourselves, aren't we? A merger is certainly not 100%, and even if it were, we don't know what the new carrier's policies and business strategy will look like. You might be please. :)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  15. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    OceanBreezes likes this.
  16. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind this could also be a negotiating ploy by the Unions in their negotiations with AMR in bankruptcy court.

loudnotes, Max M, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  17. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    The rest of the unsecured creditors should be very worried since US has more debt than AA, and doesn't have the profitability numbers they're looking for. Grandstanding.

Max M likes this.
  18. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this will happen in the end. Though we probably won't see a merged AA/US for 24 months at least.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  19. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but the current US logo at least to my eyes is worse, so let's hope management doesn't hire the same logomakers. A lot of folks think current uniform designs are dated, too, and need refreshing. But hey, we've got a bankrupt airline and people's livelihoods at stake, so logos, uniforms and maybe even names are probably pretty far down the priority list.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    True, but like I said, I'm looking for some upsides, and the AA livery has bothered me for ages. On another upside note - US partners with Qatar and flies to LIS. Both things I like. :cool:

21. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    The downside for me personally would be losing access to Star Alliance partners because I don't have any miles with another other carrier in that alliance. Maybe it's time to get the United CC and start building as a backup plan.

zshanlon likes this.
  22. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, this will certainly get at my concern of the "lifetime of the AAdvantage" program language for those of us with lifetime AA status. I knew I shouldn't have my two highest mileage balances with these two, but the credit cards and Grand Slams make it too easy!

23. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    True. I'm a bit like chicken little when it comes to ff programs. :p The value is falling! The value is falling! :eek::eek:

Kalboz likes this.
  24. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to:

http://www.usairways.com/pv_obj_cac...939F3E0D60000/filename/partnerawardtravel.pdf

Under the notes in the chart listed in the link:

B) Award redemption on Qatar Airways and Royal Jordanian is temporarily not available

Is this outdated, or can you now booked awards on Qatar Airways using USAirways Dividend miles?

25. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since AAdvantage was the first public frequent flyer program, I would hope that in the event of a merger/acqusition with USAirways, that they would keep the AAdvantage brand alive.

OceanBreezes and Sean Colahan like this.