AA/US AIrways questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by rangerfan, Jul 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. rangerfan

rangerfan New Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to take a trip to London next year with a cousin. I've got 60,000 United points to pay one way for both of us. However, she's got over 30,000 US Airways points and I've got over 30,000 American points. We'd like to fly together on the leg home, too, but not sure which way to go. Should I use my American points, fly American, and let her use her US Airways points to fly American? Or should I use my American points to fly US AIrways with her? I know you can buy one way trips on American but not sure if you have to pay roundtrip on US Airways for a one way trip. Thanks!

2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can find low enough space and availability you might be better to have her book a round trip on US for 35,000 if she can get some more miles (right now you can get some bonus miles for buying). Then you can use your United miles to fly there and book the same flight as her on the way back. It won't matter if it's AA or US metal as long as you book through AA to get the one way. US doesn't award one way without paying the round trip price. The other option is to book a round trip using your AA miles for a round trip on the same flights both ways. Depending on the availability and time of year, etc. etc. you might be able to do that for about 40,000 which you could buy up to (AA has a different buy promo going on.
    The only other thing I was thinking is that you could go ahead and get these flights booked asap to nail that down but instead of going into LHR with high taxes you could go into Paris or another gateway and then find a discount local flight into LHR. Not sure it's worth the extra trouble though.

Counsellor likes this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Err .. most of the charges one pays travelling to/from London as a destination are assessed on the ticket leaving from LHR, so there would be no real advantage flying into Paris.
    Flying out of Paris will save you about $120.00 on airport/charges per ticket whether one would considers that option is up to the individual bearing in mind the cost of getting from London to Paris the
    would eat much if not all the savings ....the whole exercise seems like a wash to me.:)

Back to the OP's original question the whole process depends on time of year/award availability/travelers flexibility but acquiring the additional AA miles for two one ways and using the UAL miles from the other legs seems the best way to go. The fact that you have the UAL miles affords you a bit of flexibility since UAL awards seem to be easier to get than AA these days.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    US requires a RT ticket now, but that might change by the beginning of the year. If you're willing to gamble, you could hold off on booking one direction, hoping that there will still be availability after the US program changes or merges with AA.

I don't think it makes any difference whether you use the US & AA points to fly on US or AA metal - the airlines seem to be doing fine at issuing tickets on the other's metal, so pick the flights with the best times and availability.

5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Huh? US and UA are no longer partners (and UA and AA were never partners), so there is no way to use UA miles to fly on US or AA.. so how would you use UA miles to book a US or AA flight? :confused:

(emphasis added)

This is in fact wrong. UK APD is charged on departure from the UK, not arrival. My one-way awards to LHR cost me miles plus the TSA fee. ;)

One thing to consider, OP... AA only charges 20K one way to go to Europe from the USA in coach during offseason (October-May). So if you can come up with 10K additional AA miles, you're home free. ;)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    daninstl likes this.
  6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I meant was for him to fly on UA there then book a separate award with AA miles on the way back as they want to try to be on the same return trip.

Good point on the taxes. I was just thinking on a return or round trip ticket and the fuel surcharges not taxes actually. Seems like a "tax".

7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I take "We'd like to fly together on the leg home, too" as meaning they want to be together on the same plane both ways...